Thread: E10 Fuel

E10 Fuel

Can anyone tell me if a 2002 MY ZRX1200s will run OK on E10 fuel?
    Many thanks
    Regards
    Nick

Re: E10 Fuel

I would say yes. E10 petrol is compatible with almost all petrol vehicles on the road today. I'm not a fan of E10 fuel because of all the documented issues that comes with E10, but it's not easy or cheap to run a motor vehicle or bike today on an alternative.

I don't use my bikes for normal day to day transport ( strictly pleasure ) and therefore I tend to use the Premium fuels from BP,Shell or Costco.

LIVE EVERY DAY AS THO ITS YOUR LAST CAUSE ONE DAY YOUR SURE TO BE RIGHT!!!

ZRX1200R GREEN AND MEAN

east of holland 50feet from the german border

it'll run awreet, but eventually it'll eat yer bikes gubbins.......What P.S.I. are you running?
    Birdie num num........

It'll be fine in regular use, I just wouldn't leave it in the bike during storage though as it absorbs water from the atmosphere which causes the problems.

This guy has been doing a long term test of bike components in ethanol to see what the effect is - https://youtu.be/m9ygvQ8-vE8

I think this is about 3 years into the experiment. So far all ok but some gunge has been created on aluminium parts which he's getting examined so should be interesting to see - looks most likely to be aluminium oxide, probably from reacting to the moisture level over time.

It's not a definitive test as I'm sure some complex chemistry is going on with the cocktail of chemicals that is in petrol, but ethanol itself isn't actually as bad as people make out.

Quote Originally Posted by firmhand1969 View Post
    Yep: I run full fat all the time in mine. With the size of the tank, the difference in cost isn't that great.

Captain Blue :: "Whitey is not the Messiah: he's a very naughty boy!"
    Admin ZRX Owners Club :: Team Phat Bastid (Ex-Fireblade Splinter Group) ::
    ZRX1200R.com :: Captain-Blue.com :: trackdayhero.com :: You Fucking Love it!

Esso 99 super has no ethanol in these parts , although they have to mark the pumps e5.
    All super unleaded apart from esso will remain e5 for at least 3 years I believe.
    Mp
    Ps. E10 does not come out until September 2021 btw .
    Hcw's , still going strong

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    Esso 99 super has no ethanol in these parts , although they have to mark the pumps e5 .
    Ah that explains it. Was wondering why the local garage's 99 was E5 marked, I asked the lad at the till and I might as well have been talking Latin.

re OP. Higher ethanol content can mess with plastic components, but more importantly from a rex pov ethanol is hygroscopic, sucking moisture from the air. So if you lay the bike up over winter or whenever you'll ought to drain it properly, not rely on additives (which are a pretty mixed bag anyway).

east of holland 50feet from the german border

Quote Originally Posted by PALESAINT View Post
    Ah that explains it. Was wondering why the local garage's 99 was E5 marked, I asked the lad at the till and I might as well have been talking Latin.

re OP. Higher ethanol content can mess with plastic components, but more importantly from a rex pov ethanol is hygroscopic, sucking moisture from the air. So if you lay the bike up over winter or whenever you'll ought to drain it properly, not rely on additives (which are a pretty mixed bag anyway).
    Thats what I meant
    Birdie num num........