Thread: XSR900 update

XSR900 update

Hi All, not posted here for yonks..... still have the 03 ZRX..66 k on it now..hasnt really been putting on many miles last few years......had it MOTíd early lock down and the mech said well done, youíve covered 70 miles in a year.... sadly that was after Iíd taken the old girl for a 40 mile shake down pre test.... so doing all the miles on the XSR 900 these days.... have the itch for a new bike so I tried to resist by upgrading with NTR1 and new full SP Engineering pipe and reflash....hasnít really worked.... like the XSR.... itís far too fast now.... still only 105 bhp and 62 lb ft per Steve Jordan dyno but itís too much really.... fancying the new GSXS1000 .... oh the SP pipe is sooo loud.... had reflash done with baffle in.... still loud but just about ok.... saves 10 lb weight over stock and well made system.... canít remember how to attach pics... doh!!

Re: XSR900 update

It always amuses me when someone says they don't use a bike for years, but then follow up with wanting to buy another bike - how about simply using the Rex more

Not a jab by the way, I'm exactly the same

Noggin - you make a fair point. Unfortunately, the ZRX1200R is no longer emmissions compliant in London, so cannot be used for the commute. There was a 10 year period when I covered 5,000 miles pa on the ZRX. I had a 2007 KTM950 SM I put 21,000 miles on and it also fell foul of the emissions laws. I sold it. Great bike.

Wont sell the ZRX. I dont really know why. Both the XSR and KTM are much better bikes.

There is a big difference between need and want. I have had bikes since 1983 but I have only owned 7. In order of purchase Kawasaki KC100, Suzuki GSX250, Kawasaki GPZ550, Yamaha TDM850, ZRX1200R, KTM950SM and Yamaha XSR900.

Ive been pretty restrained for a motorcycle obsessive.

Ive already decided to buy myself the new GSXS 1000. I probably wont even bother with a test ride. I didn't test ride the ZRX back in 2003 either. If Id have test ridden the XSR, I wouldnt have bought it but I'm glad I did. Im keeping it too. The ZRX will become a type of garden ornament. I'll get out on it now and again.

I thought it was possible to get paperwork showing the ZRX was NOX levels compliant? Or if not have it tested and certfied. I heard the ULEZ testing place is actually very happy to add and tweak whatever is needed to get bikes a pass. Thought someone on here had been able to get offical paperwork from Kawasaki showing compliance.
    Last edited by Chris'ZRX; 21st May 2021 at 05:16 PM.

Hi Chris, My zrx is a Dutch import so Kawasaki UK told me to do one. There are guys in Stratford (?) who for £275 will check for ULEZ compliance. I have PDQ tune, full akra, k&n and thought wouldnt pass....so didnít bother and to be fair commuting on the 4 year old 195kg XSR is a lot more pleasant than the 18 year old 260 kg zrx (weighed in Mot station admittedly with top box and 12 lb security chain under the seat ). I think the old girl has done her time up the Old Kent Road and through the Blackwall.... sheís earned her retirement.....although I might look into it.... thanks for the reminder.....
    Last edited by wardylondon; 22nd May 2021 at 05:23 PM.

Oh right see. Had a guy on one of my courses who had an old Honda Dominator, he was told by the test place that it'd be no problem getting ULEZ compliance they'd just stick a cat on it which he could remove after the test! That £275 smacks of extortion though certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by wardylondon View Post
    Noggin - you make a fair point. Unfortunately, the ZRX1200R is no longer emmissions compliant in London, so cannot be used for the commute. There was a 10 year period when I covered 5,000 miles pa on the ZRX. I had a 2007 KTM950 SM I put 21,000 miles on and it also fell foul of the emissions laws. I sold it. Great bike.

Wont sell the ZRX. I dont really know why. Both the XSR and KTM are much better bikes.
    Fair enough - it was just a light-hearted observation that many of us keep hold of bikes but seem to always need another one :wink:

Think the most I had was 4 at one point. If it wasn't for the other half I'd probably have a garage full and then some in the lounge as an overflow.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    Fair enough - it was just a light-hearted observation that many of us keep hold of bikes but seem to always need another one :wink:

Think the most I had was 4 at one point. If it wasn't for the other half I'd probably have a garage full and then some in the lounge as an overflow.
    Last count was 10 whole ones and an never ending rd400 project, lol
    Mp
    Hcw's , still going strong