Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED headlight/DRL unit conversion on the ZRX

Re: LED headlight/DRL unit conversion on the ZRX

Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    I think you can still benefit from relay conversion. I think LEDs would be happy with lesser voltage drop.
    Is that something you've carried out and if so, how exactly did you go about it please (or is there a thread somewhere on here about someone doing it?)

There is a thread on installing a relay loom made by one of the ZRXOA members.

Do a search for 'Frayed sanity', that being the username of the said member.
    TPB-Founder member HCW
    Champagne ideas on beer money

Quote Originally Posted by Westcraigs View Post
    Is that something you've carried out and if so, how exactly did you go about it please (or is there a thread somewhere on here about someone doing it?)
    I did preventative relay conversion on my Suzuki SV1000 that has two headlights and is known to burn wires because of that. With single ZRX headlight modification is pretty straight forward. For harness/ electrical modifications on my bikes I use Japanese OEM component supplier easternbeaver.com. See the website for details, they can make you sub harness or just buy components and make your own. I am sure components can be sourced locally, but I just prefer Japanese for longevity.

http://www.zrxocboard.com/board/show...ghlight=frayed
    TPB-Founder member HCW
    Champagne ideas on beer money

Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    There is a thread on installing a relay loom made by one of the ZRXOA members.

Do a search for 'Frayed sanity', that being the username of the said member.
    Thank you for that. From that, I found there's a couple of video's on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKYw-ayBQH0&t=331s & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C7_15_4A7E , which are both about the harness upgrade on the ZRX, so I'll probably use that and make up my own harness, it's not difficult....perhaps I'll mount the two relays in behind the LED headlight because there's a lot more space there now, but then again if I do go back to the factory unit, that harness layout wouldn't work.

Stay safe and well!

Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    I did preventative relay conversion on my Suzuki SV1000 that has two headlights and is known to burn wires because of that. With single ZRX headlight modification is pretty straight forward. For harness/ electrical modifications on my bikes I use Japanese OEM component supplier easternbeaver.com. See the website for details, they can make you sub harness or just buy components and make your own. I am sure components can be sourced locally, but I just prefer Japanese for longevity.
    Thank you for that. I found there's a couple of video's on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKYw-ayBQH0&t=331s & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C7_15_4A7E , which are both about the harness upgrade on the ZRX, so I'll probably use that and make up my own harness, it's not difficult as you've found out....perhaps I'll mount the two relays in behind the LED headlight because there's a lot more space there now, but then again if I do go back to the factory unit, that harness layout wouldn't work.

Thanks for that.

In hindsight, I should've taken some before and after photos of the light spread pattern and intensity against a wall or on the same stretch of dark road. That said I reckon it's an improvement without it necessarily being a massive improvement as far as high beam is concerned. The original was always pretty lousy, so getting ahead of that shouldn't be too difficult. Aesthetically I think it is a win-win whether it's switched on or not and because 90% of my riding is daylight hours, the DRL is awesome for brightness and style.
    Nice one, any improvement is always welcome. As you say aesthetically it looks great so a win win and something different

Looks pretty good, might try and incorporate one into my 1200S to R conversion....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12