Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: LED headlight/DRL unit conversion on the ZRX

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    9

    Re: LED headlight/DRL unit conversion on the ZRX

    Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    I think you can still benefit from relay conversion. I think LEDs would be happy with lesser voltage drop.
    Is that something you've carried out and if so, how exactly did you go about it please (or is there a thread somewhere on here about someone doing it?)

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Farnborough Hants
    Posts
    9,115

    Re: LED headlight/DRL unit conversion on the ZRX

    There is a thread on installing a relay loom made by one of the ZRXOA members.

    Do a search for 'Frayed sanity', that being the username of the said member.
    TPB-Founder member HCW
    Champagne ideas on beer money

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    South from the Deep South - Florida Man
    Posts
    3,581

    Re: LED headlight/DRL unit conversion on the ZRX

    Quote Originally Posted by Westcraigs View Post
    Is that something you've carried out and if so, how exactly did you go about it please (or is there a thread somewhere on here about someone doing it?)
    I did preventative relay conversion on my Suzuki SV1000 that has two headlights and is known to burn wires because of that. With single ZRX headlight modification is pretty straight forward. For harness/ electrical modifications on my bikes I use Japanese OEM component supplier easternbeaver.com. See the website for details, they can make you sub harness or just buy components and make your own. I am sure components can be sourced locally, but I just prefer Japanese for longevity.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Farnborough Hants
    Posts
    9,115

    Re: LED headlight/DRL unit conversion on the ZRX

    Quote Originally Posted by Westcraigs View Post
    Is that something you've carried out and if so, how exactly did you go about it please (or is there a thread somewhere on here about someone doing it?)
    http://www.zrxocboard.com/board/show...ghlight=frayed
    TPB-Founder member HCW
    Champagne ideas on beer money

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    9

    Re: LED headlight/DRL unit conversion on the ZRX

    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    There is a thread on installing a relay loom made by one of the ZRXOA members.

    Do a search for 'Frayed sanity', that being the username of the said member.
    Thank you for that. From that, I found there's a couple of video's on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKYw-ayBQH0&t=331s & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C7_15_4A7E , which are both about the harness upgrade on the ZRX, so I'll probably use that and make up my own harness, it's not difficult....perhaps I'll mount the two relays in behind the LED headlight because there's a lot more space there now, but then again if I do go back to the factory unit, that harness layout wouldn't work.

    Stay safe and well!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    9

    Re: LED headlight/DRL unit conversion on the ZRX

    Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    I did preventative relay conversion on my Suzuki SV1000 that has two headlights and is known to burn wires because of that. With single ZRX headlight modification is pretty straight forward. For harness/ electrical modifications on my bikes I use Japanese OEM component supplier easternbeaver.com. See the website for details, they can make you sub harness or just buy components and make your own. I am sure components can be sourced locally, but I just prefer Japanese for longevity.
    Thank you for that. I found there's a couple of video's on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKYw-ayBQH0&t=331s & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C7_15_4A7E , which are both about the harness upgrade on the ZRX, so I'll probably use that and make up my own harness, it's not difficult as you've found out....perhaps I'll mount the two relays in behind the LED headlight because there's a lot more space there now, but then again if I do go back to the factory unit, that harness layout wouldn't work.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    3,226

    Re: LED headlight/DRL unit conversion on the ZRX

    Quote Originally Posted by Westcraigs View Post
    Thanks for that.

    In hindsight, I should've taken some before and after photos of the light spread pattern and intensity against a wall or on the same stretch of dark road. That said I reckon it's an improvement without it necessarily being a massive improvement as far as high beam is concerned. The original was always pretty lousy, so getting ahead of that shouldn't be too difficult. Aesthetically I think it is a win-win whether it's switched on or not and because 90% of my riding is daylight hours, the DRL is awesome for brightness and style.
    Nice one, any improvement is always welcome. As you say aesthetically it looks great so a win win and something different

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Stockton on Tees
    Posts
    35

    Re: LED headlight/DRL unit conversion on the ZRX

    Looks pretty good, might try and incorporate one into my 1200S to R conversion....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Green Web Hosting! This site hosted by DreamHost.

Click here to order your ZRXOC Merchandise