Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Story time then

Story time then

Can any one from the North East of England remember going to Tranwell in the late 70s early 80s, The big gsx , z1r and the flying hooligans on there LC350. The track was on private property (old RAF runway)so the cops could do nothing but paint a line down the centre . Seen many a crash going there ,there and on way back to the Cafe in Portland. Good memories

Re: Story time then

sounds like the good old days, shame i was too young then

I remember Tranwell,near Morpeth wasn't it,the police were there when I went.

Seen some old photos recently of Tranwell that were posted on a facebook group. I'll be damned if i can remember which group i seen them on ��

Yes ,on the road from ponteland to Morpeth. Nearer morpeth, just before the t Junction at the top

You can find Tranwell woods on google maps, You can still make out the large u shaped track but its a bit over grown now . It was a air field during ww2 and this area was where they parked the spitfires up . There was parking bays all around the u shape for the planes . It was the place to go on a sunday . I hitched a ride on the back of my mates XJ650 until my first bike a DT125mx. At one point the land owner shut the entrance off with a soil embankment . A mad biker with access to a JCB sorted that out. There was always a crash there. the insurance companies started sending spies there to take details of any crashed bikes as your insurance was void once on that land. Again some bikers used there loaf and transported there bikes there in a van with the plates removed. This also helped others to get there crashed bikes away and dump them down the road to claim insurance . Nothing better than plodding along on your 125 and have a 1100Katana ,z1300 and the hooligans on LC350 with a set of microns or allseeds. great times

Not sure what its like now in the north east for runs and meeting points . i left the area in 2006 . I lived up in Ryton but later moved to Bishop Auckland ,so always had easy access to the good roads. Weardale up to Alston /Hartside cafe . Hawes Derwent, Heamsley ,Kielder. Long weekends up at Fort William. There was also a bad time in the 80s around the newcastle area for stealing bikes to order. The bikes were stripped and the parts sent to a unnamed bike breakers on westgate hill . I know this as i seen all the police photos that were taken of the thieving low life. The cops had camera s set up all over the hill catching the faces of scum .The scum going into the shop coming out with a helmet then going to the wanted bike they then stole . They dredged the river tyne at one point thinking thats where the engine casings had been dumped. When the police raided the hill that saturday afternoon they knew exactly who they wanted . cops every where and the breakers raided. thats all your getting today children , back to your garages to play with ya toys

Quote Originally Posted by Hudders View Post
    You can find Tranwell woods on google maps, You can still make out the large u shaped track but its a bit over grown now . It was a air field during ww2 and this area was where they parked the spitfires up . There was parking bays all around the u shape for the planes . It was the place to go on a sunday . I hitched a ride on the back of my mates XJ650 until my first bike a DT125mx. At one point the land owner shut the entrance off with a soil embankment . A mad biker with access to a JCB sorted ....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tranwell_Airfield

That's it , the u shape to the left and down from the car boot sale off the road . My brother binned it on the centre of bend on a LC250. The entre was on the south leg .

So Hudders, how you end up in Peth?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast