PDA

View Full Version : Unplanned Board Move

RHM
31st January 2007, 11:19 PM
Well that was nice.

At some point earlier today, it seems our main board hosts, 1&1 decided to shuffle their servers around. The first I found out was when I started getting error messages by the sackload telling me that a connection from an IP address couldn't be made to the database, which is hosted by DreamHost.

Now for security, you have to tell the database which hosts or computers as well as 'users' are allowed to connect to it. Which we've done. But that was before 1&1 started twatting about :swear:

Now I've been seeing all sorts of other 'issues' with 1&1 recently and we all know how slow things have been with them, so this was the final straw.

So I spent most of the afternoon and evening registering the new domain name, zrxocboard.com, with DreamHost (which was accomplished very quickly) which just left the small matter of copying the entire board - complete with all the attachments you've all uploaded over the last couple of years - from 1&1 to DreamHost. A little under 6,000 files to be downloaded and then re-uploaded.

The last small change was to add a couple of files to zrxoc.com to transfer visitors here until I can move the domain names away from 1&1.

Now, it does appear that there has been a silver lining to all this: now that the main board files as well as the database are hosted by the same company on the same continent, we should see better speed and there is now only one possible point of failure rather than two (and less chance of the two hosts each blaming the other).

As always, we'll see how things pan out over the next few days and weeks...

REXER
31st January 2007, 11:50 PM
Well it's certainly put a big smile back on my face, a big :clap : for all your efforts.

Also a big thanks to everyone whose been putting up with the boards previously s-l-o-w running. We should see a big increase in posts now, it's been crippling.

RHM
31st January 2007, 11:54 PM
:agreed:

TI GG RRRRRRRRRR
1st February 2007, 08:43 AM
:hail: Richy

kcearl
1st February 2007, 09:24 AM
wow super quick...hurrah we've got our board back :clap:

:kcearl:

Purge
1st February 2007, 09:25 AM
That's more like it, and as a special treat, I even drove to PDQ to measure your rad bracket dimension last night, honest. Matt has the info.

Well done Richy, lovely and fast again :thumb:

RHM
1st February 2007, 09:26 AM
:win:

Whitey
1st February 2007, 09:27 AM
Jesus.

Thats as quick as buggery.

All the Richy :hail:

RHM
1st February 2007, 09:28 AM
All the Richy :hail:

So quick, turned you into Yoda it has :lol:

Whitey
1st February 2007, 09:32 AM
Used the Force, Richy has.

Pal
1st February 2007, 12:01 PM
I can't tell any difference :dunno: but then it was never slow for me :biggrin:

RHM
1st February 2007, 12:09 PM
:thud:

TI GG RRRRRRRRRR
1st February 2007, 02:21 PM
Thats as quick as buggery.

not for me, I like to take my time when buggering ;)

oooh did I just type that ;) ;)

RHM
1st February 2007, 02:28 PM
Eeyyoo!

DinosaurRex
2nd February 2007, 04:39 PM
Considerable improvement dude. Very good work.

:thumb: