Thread: Front brakes(oem)

Front brakes(oem)

So...during my first ride out I could hear a noise from the front end..basically when I put the brakes on the noise disappeared. They worked fine but the noise didnt go away. I thought as she'd been standing for a few years I'd strip them down and service/clean/new brake fluid. Absolute pita getting some of the pistons out. Took best part of two days to do but eventually sorted.
    Ride out this morning same noise. Hmmmmm...checked the bobbins..all stuck so after more tlc they at the least are now free.

Searched the forum earlier and 'found' my own quetion/thread re this.. consensus was the EBC pads are too small and essentialy pivoting on the pin causing the noise..Any recommendations on pads that wont rattle?..The current 'new in 2015 and zero miles' ebc are HH.
    I know the fitting on the caliper is defined as a 'spring' BUT what does it actually do?... Mine only makes contact with the caliper via the 2 screws..I assumed it was an anti-rattle spring for the last 20 years..and no i cant remember hearing the noise before she was laid up..

Sorted...I bent the springs (where the tang is supposed to connect with the brake pad) and voila..
    Last edited by nikroc; 31st July 2022 at 08:26 PM.

Re: Front brakes(oem)

That didnt last long...Still got the same old rattle BUT now have SBS pads in the front...are the discs floaters or fixed?...

Your right, the pads pivot on the pin . I had the same and did all the same to try an fix . The wear is in the caliper if you take a good look all these years just tapping away . I lightly filed the wear away and tig welded small pads onto the sides of a new set of pads. Each pad then had to be filled to fit the caliper . Perfect fit no tapping.

It pays to strip and clean your calipers regular. Especially if in the likes of the UK with all the crud that comes off the road . The oxidation behind the seals ,forcing them out there groves . I would loosen the calipers off the forks and hang them In a bucket of warm soapy water and leave for a while . Then use my wifes tooth brush to give them a good scrub. Same with the bobbins keep them loose .check for disc warp . Just remember that it is the flex in the seals that keep the slight pressure on the pads which I turn keep the pads in contact with the discs that stop the tapping

Thanks for the reply..In 2015 I replaced/rebuilt the calipers and put in EBC pads..then proceeded to leave the bike standing for 6 years..So a few months ago I stripped them down again and cleaned everything. Took the pistons out and cleaned up all the seal mating surfaces and rebuilt them .
    Thats when I started to ride the bike again..(she was my 40th bday present to myself ,Im 60 soon)..She now has 7,500 miles on the clock. Last week I stripped them down again,replacing seals a piston..They brakes themselves work smoothly .no drag on the pistons but still the annoying rattle...

Appreciate the heads up on the tig welding ...will see if I can find someone to do the weld..
    Last edited by nikroc; 10th September 2022 at 09:21 PM.

Here is a picture of my modified pads . I found this stopped the tapping , they are all filled to size so you cannot change them around . Hope this helps the zrx crew.