Thread: Didn’t buy the GSXS 1000 after all, bought Tenere 700 instead, go figure

Didn’t buy the GSXS 1000 after all, bought Tenere 700 instead, go figure

So I test drove the GSXS 1000 and didn’t get on with it…. Pegs too high, nice induction noise but no slack at all in throttle…. Realise it’s RBW but still… too sudden/snatchy…. Only allowed 20 min test ride in Greenwich which didn’t help…. So saw this 2019 T700 that had been converted to 17 inch excel rims, other farkles too and thought this will be like a KTM950SM Lite but reliable with it…..think that may turn out to be the case…. Added Givi rear rack and plate, had Viking seats in Kent take 30mm out of the seat height (and add back 8mm with gel insert) and Lush racing doglegs dropped it another 20mm… so seat is 868mm now…. Still can’t flat foot but not far off…. Engine has had induction and exhaust work…. These make 64 rwhp as standard (claimed 72) but this is dyno’d at 76 and 50 lb ft, nice addition to XSR900 and ZRX1200R….the suspension is great on our crappy roads, 200mm front and 210mm rear I think…. Now if I can just find a station with petrol around here….mmm don’t seem to be able to add pics from my phone…. Will have to fire up the PC….
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wardylondon; 3rd October 2021 at 10:47 AM.

Re: Didn’t buy the GSXS 1000 after all, bought Tenere 700 instead, go figure

Congrats on your new bike and hope it lives up to your expectations. Certainly looks the part

What did you think of your KTM950SM ?. Any particular reason you fancied a change ?

Cheers JDS,
    The 950SM is probably the best bike I’ve ever ridden… but it was only 99% reliable and as I used it to and from work 200 days a year, it left me on the side of the road twice a year and that got old after 4 years. I’d only ever had Japanese bikes and I’d never had a bike with an oil leak until I had the Austrian bike…. Glorious bike but no consolation sitting on the road on a Friday night waiting for Motorcycle SOS….

I see. Thanks for the info.

I bought a KTM this summer, but haven't had the chance to ride it yet as the wife got seriously ill shortly after getting the KTM home.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to ride the KTM as all my time was taken up this Summer looking after home life. Now the wife is finally home, the weather has changed and fuel shenanigans hasn't settled down where we live. I'm looking forward to trying the KTM out, but that might have to wait until Spring now.

Anyway, enjoy the new T700 and hope you have better luck

congrats with the new bike, wonder how the comfort is on the long hauls.

Hope you get to enjoy the KTM with your wife soon JDS
    ships get called 'she'
    I bet torpedoes don't

Hey JDS, I hope your wife is on the mend and convalescing well. I hope you get out on the KTM soon.

Great bikes to ride. Maybe I'll own another one soon. I think the T700 will be decent long distance. 6,000 rpm is approx 82mph, about 10 mph down on the XSR at those revs and good wind protection from that odd binnacle on the front. Seat seems okay after refurb but possibly still a bit narrow. Not the prettiest bike.

I have to MOT the ZRX next week and I have a horrible feeling the only miles I have done are the 2.5 miles back from the MOT station last year. If I dont use it at all again this year, I may SORN it or even sell it. Anyone want a 2003 ZRX1200R (blue) with 66,000 miles on it? Full akra, PDQ tuned and rear Ohlins? Got pics on this site somewhere.

Cheers Gents. The Mrs is doing well thanks.