Thread: Valve clearance tutorial to be avoided !!!

Valve clearance tutorial to be avoided !!!

Hey all, not sure what part of the forum would be best to post this but I found this tutorial on YouTube that's best to be avoided.

So I've not done valve clearance before and wanted some visual aid to go with the service manual and this guy seemed like he knew what he was doing given his following and amount of videos he's posted. This guy shows a way of removing the shim by pressing on the spring to expose the shim and pulling it out with a magnet. This almost cost me big time as I managed to pull a shim with a valve collet and drop a valve down the cylinder head. Fortunately for me, I managed to fish it out and double checked the manual to found the safe way of swapping the shims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT296vgegUs&t

Re: Valve clearance tutorial to be avoided !!!

I used this as a reference guide when I stripped and rebuilt my head (completely stripped and new valve seals etc).
    https://youtu.be/MFn97LGsYk4

It's a good guide with a few nice tips in there too.

In terms of getting the shims out, it's pretty easy i.e. push the follower across and pull out with a magnet, but a bit of a golden rule is to always put some rag or paper towel etc in any holes/channels etc, because when you drop one (which you will, as you've found), it wont go anywhere it shouldn't.

Spark plug holes, cam chain gallery etc etc all should be blocked off with something

that looks helpful, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pa3k851 View Post

So I've not done valve clearance before and wanted some visual aid to go with the service manual and this guy seemed like he knew what he was doing given his following and amount of videos he's posted. This guy shows a way of removing the shim by pressing on the spring to expose the shim and pulling it out with a magnet. This almost cost me big time as I managed to pull a shim with a valve collet and drop a valve down the cylinder head....]
    I veified guy said what he wrote in translation... booger. Problem with so called pros is they often use shortcuts that that are working for them but not necessarily for next man.
    He is also sticking feeler gauge in incorrect locations.
    Anyhow people commented on the video 2 years ago and pointed out his shortcomings in comment section, to bad not in English.

Glad you were able to recover.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 22nd June 2020 at 07:40 PM.
    Polish onslaught

...you can lead a horse to water, but you canít make it drink...

As noggin has said , push follower to the side and pick out shim with magnet . The end followers are basket cases as they dont move far enough across to lock . Your fingers start to get sore and deffo seal up any holes