Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter Chain Tensioner Feedback pls

Re: Starter Chain Tensioner Feedback pls

Quote Originally Posted by Pa3k851 View Post
    The solution I have there actually works, I was just concerned about the extra pressure this spring puts on the slider and chain. But I am confident I can find the right spring and spacer to get to a desirable movement restriction without increasing the current pressure. This will also be cheap and easy mod since you will only need a zip tie to fit it.
    I actually like your idea, not sure why some are being so negative or even trolling that you're a cheapskate with the maxxis tyre comment - presuming that's what's being inferred.

What you've come up with is pretty much the idea behind any 'normal' cam chain tensioner, i.e. simply spring load the tensioner to keep a pressure on it.

There's no way I would have paid for the Kwicky (felt the same as you, way over priced for what is a block of ally and a bolt with a hole drilled through it), but someone on here was selling one for a good price so I bought it.

Mine is at 50k miles and the clutch is showing signs of damage from where the starter mechanism was hitting it, so they are definitely needed long term, so you're 100% right to put something in as a preventative measure.

I'd say as long as the chain isn't being deflected too hard by that spring then it should be fine, but always hard to tell. Maybe have the odd check on it now and again to see what's happening.

Everyone loves a good mod, and especially those that are quick and easy and especially don't break the budget. If you had a long standing pedigree on here and this was a new idea people would probably pat you on the back, so I'd say thanks for sharing the idea instead of seeing it as a business opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    I actually like your idea, not sure why some are being so negative or even trolling that you're a cheapskate with the maxxis tyre comment - presuming that's what's being inferred.

What you've come up with is pretty much the idea behind any 'normal' cam chain tensioner, i.e. simply spring load the tensioner to keep a pressure on it.

There's no way I would have paid for the Kwicky (felt the same as you, way over priced for what is a block of ally and a bolt with a hole drilled through it), but someone on here was selling one for a good price so I bought it.

Mine is at 50k miles and the clutch is showing signs of damage from where the starter mechanism was hitting it, so they are definitely needed long term, so you're 100% right to put something in as a preventative measure.

I'd say as long as the chain isn't being deflected too hard by that spring then it should be fine, but always hard to tell. Maybe have the odd check on it now and again to see what's happening.

Everyone loves a good mod, and especially those that are quick and easy and especially don't break the budget. If you had a long standing pedigree on here and this was a new idea people would probably pat you on the back, so I'd say thanks for sharing the idea instead of seeing it as a business opportunity
    Thanks for actual constructive feedback

I ordered a different size spring and stainless spacer of ebay that should only need little to no adjustments and reduce the pressure on the bow and chain while keeping the desirable travel for the tensioner. I'll post the items and how to find them on ebya once tested if anyone was after an under 10 solution without chopping up the original.

Making your own is the way to go, but of course, Kwick will rage about how you're robbing his Mom n Pop business oof much needed sales and putting them on the street...
    Life is hard - and then you die...

I ordered a different size spring and stainless spacer of ebay that should only need little to no adjustments and reduce the pressure on the bow and chain while keeping the desirable travel for the tensioner. I'll post the items and how to find them on ebya once tested if anyone was after an under 10 solution without chopping up the original.[/QUOTE]

It will be good to hear what the outcome is when you've done it.

I came across this very simple idea I quite like, any opinions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ea8rKdVyGU

Quote Originally Posted by Kwaker View Post

I ordered a different size spring and stainless spacer of ebay that should only need little to no adjustments and reduce the pressure on the bow and chain while keeping the desirable travel for the tensioner. I'll post the items and how to find them on ebya once tested if anyone was after an under 10 solution without chopping up the original.
    It will be good to hear what the outcome is when you've done it.

I came across this very simple idea I quite like, any opinions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ea8rKdVyGU[/QUOTE]

That is essentially the same solution minus the spring. It looked like it got stuck for a a bit, where I think the spring will help with bringing it back up to tension the chain.
    Will keep you posted

If you still have the clutch cover off i would take the time to remove the chain and check for tight spots . Think the new chain is less than 20 pound, replaced mine on both gpz9 and the zrx,

I got to swap the spring and spacer today and I think it works a treat.

IMG_20200704_135021.jpg

The spacer is M6, 10mm OD and 19mm long (3.50) ... The ebay listing title - "Stainless Steel Spacers/ Collar x 10mm Dia x 3/16"(M5)1/4"(M6)5/16"(M8)3/8"hole"

The spring is Stainless 20mm long, 1.5mm wire diameter and 10mm OD (3.79) ... The ebay listing title - "Compression Spring Various Size 4-13mm Diameter & 10-75mm Length Pressure Small"

IMG_20200630_130940.jpg

The spacer needed a little bit of filing for a nice fit but that's all (roughly about 12mm in length)

IMG_20200704_133308.jpg

IMG_20200704_133553.jpg

The spring is about 1mm from fully extended when installed so it's not placing any major pressure on the chain and it's about 11mm long fully compressed which gives a perfect limitation for movement of the tensioner keeping it clear from the basket

IMG_20200704_135115.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast