Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: coolant drip advice please

Re: coolant drip advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Hudders View Post
    The water pump I'm sure is not a serviceable part but I can be corrected. I broke a gpz9 pump apart to see why it was leaking and inside on the water side the seal is a ceramic disc running against I think a nylon disc , which could fail due to a crack or scratch. The oil side is just a o ring . There was a really good write up on the UK gpz9 forum about the water pump . I ended up with a e bay job
    Hi

Thanks for this, I looked at the article which was very useful, but Cradley Heath Kawasaki confirmed that it is a non-serviceable part, think I would rather bite the bullet and buy a new one if I have to.

I don't think the coolant can get into the oil , the weep hole will not let any pressure build up to force though the oil seal. Then again ? There would be the signs of water on the engine oil level glass.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    Yeah essentially when the water pump fails the hole simply gives the coolant somewhere to escape to, and also is a visual clue it's gone.

If yours is dripping from the hole then I'd not run the bike until sorted now. As above, I'd probably try and find an Ebay replacement than mess about trying to repair...
    After confirmation that dripping is from weep hole I would run the bike to see if the drips stops. There is a chance that after mechanical seal gets lubrications it will work properly again...
    Polish onslaught

...you can lead a horse to water, but you canít make it drink...

Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    After confirmation that dripping is from weep hole I would run the bike to see if the drips stops. There is a chance that after mechanical seal gets lubrications it will work properly again...
    Good call..

Once it leaks it will not stop, as soon as the system pressurises it will force the coolant out any weak points.
    Loud pipes save lives!

ok, firstly I am very grateful for the little video and the other advice guys.

So I got a bike mirror nicely positioned under the bike and put a wee block of wood under side stand to raise it slightly, and I could see there was moisture round about the weep hole, then I fired it up and watched it carefully.

There was barely any coolant coming out, a couple of drips, then I noticed small air bubbles appearing, then it stopped!!

Since then, it has remained dry, but I have left it propped up with the drip tray underneath to see what happens overnight, but maybe it has all settled down, will keep you posted

Dave

Still dry!

I did put it up level on the paddock stand yesterday but was breaking out into a sweat at the thought of it falling off and domino-ing my other bikes!!

Just need to give it a run when we get out of lockdown.

Thanks again for advice

Dave

In the interest of time please google what weep holes are for in water pumps, it will be easier for you to understand than my production on mechanical seals, bearings and stuff..

German in plain English with mime?
    Polish onslaught

...you can lead a horse to water, but you canít make it drink...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12