Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coolant drip advice please

coolant drip advice please

Hi

Looking for some advice, took my C4 out of garage yesterday to visually check it over etc, (didn't start it as can't go out anyway), but it has started to very slowly drip coolant from the bottom of the water pump cover, just where the bottom bolt is.

I'm gobsmacked why this has now started as absolutely no trace of any fluid on mat where it has been sitting, and the thought of having to drain all the coolant etc to change the gasket isn't really appealing to me.

Just wondering if I should try tightening the bolt a little, haven't touched it yet, or whether it would settle back down if I ran the bike up to temperature, or whether there is some kind of gasket sealant that I could maybe smear on the surface?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Re: coolant drip advice please

Look into water pump weep hole.

Polish onslaught

...you can lead a horse to water, but you canít make it drink...

Before you do anything invasive or recommended by others check that if the bike wasn't dripping before you moved it and you hadn't started it no one has spilt anything on it that is now running off because you have altered the angle and moved it.
    Sometimes the simple things save a lot of time and faff !
    Cheers
    Ian

ian, it 100% wasn't dripping before I took it out, and this previous video shows exactly where it is pooling, im just confused as to what the weep hole is for?
    dave

so what am I looking for here, im confused what this weep hole is for, but that looks exactly like what is happening, I would need to find a mirror to check under it tho

Quote Originally Posted by davecullen6 View Post
    so what am I looking for here, im confused what this weep hole is for, but that looks exactly like what is happening, I would need to find a mirror to check under it tho
    It is very 300 dollars important that you understand the video and vintage point. Weep hole is on the bottom of water pump and you need lift or mirror or camera to observe it. If you have leak from weep hole you need new water 300 dollar pump.

In the interest of time please google what weep holes are for in water pumps, it will be easier for you to understand than my production on mechanical seals, bearings and stuff..
    Polish onslaught

...you can lead a horse to water, but you canít make it drink...

Weep hole let's you know what side of the pump is leaking in your case the coolant side . Try and get a second hand one .

The water pump I'm sure is not a serviceable part but I can be corrected. I broke a gpz9 pump apart to see why it was leaking and inside on the water side the seal is a ceramic disc running against I think a nylon disc , which could fail due to a crack or scratch. The oil side is just a o ring . There was a really good write up on the UK gpz9 forum about the water pump . I ended up with a e bay job

Yeah essentially when the water pump fails the hole simply gives the coolant somewhere to escape to, and also is a visual clue it's gone.

If yours is dripping from the hole then I'd not run the bike until sorted now. As above, I'd probably try and find an Ebay replacement than mess about trying to repair.

I very much doubt the gasket has suddenly failed, but check closely as it could be dripping from the vent and then trickling round to drip off the lower bolt making it look like the case itself is leaking.

What a bummer if the pump has gone, will check where the drip is coming from with a mirror, but looks very like Polish guy's video shows.

The bike has only done 4 k miles and fluid looks very clean, it isn't a serviceable part so £200 for a new one!

I'm not up on watercooled bikes as haven't had many, so what is happening here, is the coolant getting into oil, or vice versa??

Thanks

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast