Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuggin carbs...again

fuggin carbs...again

After some head scratching,and help from Hudders I finally thought I was in a position refit the carbs..But alas no.
    The o rings attached to the fittings marked 92005 must have swollen/hardened or whatever and there's no way that I can push the fittings home. Tried wd40,GT85 and red rubber grease,even thought of using some water pump pliers but didnt.
    The units are £20 each!!! o rings are not available on their own.

Anyone know the size and where I can get some from?..https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/p...08l4/e1611.png

Re: fuggin carbs...again

Rubber has to come off for cleaning as some solvents make rubber swell. This is not that bad of event as you should replace the orings anyway. Orings are part of kit Kwick sells I mentioned to you before. Otherwise must ensure to buy fuel resistant ones...
    Polish onslaught

...you can lead a horse to water, but you canít make it drink...

Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    Rubber has to come off for cleaning as some solvents make rubber swell. This is not that bad of event as you should replace the orings anyway. Orings are part of kit Kwick sells I mentioned to you before. Otherwise must ensure to buy fuel resistant ones...
    I have now sorted the pilot circuit o rings thanks...I dont understand why you think I need Viton o rings for a water based system though....

Embarrassed .....please ignore my ask.....top tip...look,and then look again before you post...

No worries; good we are talking...
    Polish onslaught

...you can lead a horse to water, but you canít make it drink...

I was thinking that the brass 'head' that has the 2 o rings on it should go further in than I could get it...seems it/they bottoms out and there a shoulder of approx 4 mm above which stands proud of the carb body. Im trying ,via searching for pictures,to confirm this thought.
    Maybe its all an unconscious avoidance thing to avoid the next step of refitting the carbs and air box...

Hi nikroc, yes there is 4mm of brass showing before the shoulder . Just been and checked ,so they must be pressed home. When you fit the carbs make sure you make as much space between the cylinder head rubbers and the air box rubbers. I have noticed that you can squash the screw clamps on the cylinder head rubbers making them oval which will be a Bugger to get the carbs in . The clamps are also tabbed into the rubbers to stop them rotating so they don't just come off. Have a look before you start . So you need to get the rubbers on the air box as far back as possible. When you get the carbs into the head , use a long piece of 2mm wire with about 10mm bent 90 degrees to slide into the air box rubbers to pull them round the carbs , your man fingers will not get in there . Use a small mirror to check between and under. Oh and have the cables attached. Have you loosened off the the rear mud guard and battery box ? This lets the air box come back a bit more . I know it's more work but the gain is less pain . Enjoy

One other thing I noticed yesterday whilst stripping the air box down whilst out the frame . There was a thin oily dusty covering on the engine breather cover, which got me puzzled. Turns out the air box is in two halves and there is a small foam gasket between them ,which is soaked in oil . This then allows small amounts to pass. So I intend now to use a gasket sealer along the bottom and round the breather inlet hose on the inside before screwing back together. Will put this up also on my 20 year refurb post in the general section

Top Man!!...this kinda help is what forums are all about. Many thanks.

Turns out I do need o rings ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast