Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Restoration.

The Restoration.

Take a Zrx 1100 with 200,000km, two young people who love each other with a passion for motorcycles and the cocktail is served.
    The project, never attempted before by man, is to disassemble it together, screw to screw, and restore it completely.
    Will our heroes manage to save the Zrx from years of carelessness?
    Will their love survive?
    We will only find out by taking it apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASId...ature=youtu.be
    mad as a box of frogs

Re: The Restoration.

Hope it all goes well !
    Looking forward to seeing this.
    Cheers
    Ian

Thanks for sharing! I never have seen such a project team also some major transformation of the shop ;-)
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 1st February 2020 at 07:05 PM.
    Polish onslaught

...you can lead a horse to water, but you canít make it drink...

Looks a good project.

I've been carrying out a "nut and bolt" restoration of a 1986 FJ1200, coming to up to a year soon so I need to pull my finger out and finish it

Will watch this with interest

Thanks for watching, it will be hard but not impossible, I need time, this is the difficult part.
    mad as a box of frogs

Quote Originally Posted by 69libero View Post
    I need time, this is the difficult part.
    Completely agree.

As I say, I started the FJ around April last year. Over summer it was going great, fully stripped down to it's components and the engine was out getting the head checked (clearances etc), but as Autumn approaches things slow down and some jobs in the house took over. I've not really done anything on it for a few months and need to get back on it this year as want it finished for Spring/summer.

Round Two:
    We dismantled the fork to find out if the stems were straight and recoverable, since there are rust spots. Then it was the turn of the rear wheel, to remove the saddle pad and thoroughly clean the sprocket area from all the disgust that had accumulated over the years.
    The front pin did not unscrew even with the pneumatic gun, a vote holding the pin was seized and to unscrew it I had to use an extension for the Allen key.
    The pinion instead unscrewed immediately, always with the gun, and was mounted upside down, a common mistake on the Zrx. The aftermarket sprocket has a "spacer" that must be mounted outside, while instead it is usually mounted inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N__z8CIvd7w
    mad as a box of frogs

In the meantime I tried to assemble stuff without reading the instructions, but in the end I had to read them
    And then I risked making a mess
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQhwouVxHp8
    mad as a box of frogs

Third step of the restoration, we would like to disassemble the electrical system and the remainder of the refrigerant one but first it is better to disassemble the exhaust manifolds and carburettors.
    We then dismantle the exhaust, and clean the encrusted area, the clutch pump with the actuator and the pipe that starts from the water pump, we put the rear wheel back because I could need the bench and we will have to move it shortly and then we will focus on the carburettors.
    Before disassembling the carburetors, the intake hoses must be disassembled, a job that can lead to madness, we have disassembled two, thanks to a lot of WD40 and an Allen key of 10, the other two I disassembled them during lunch break the next day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7zNhyZR42A
    mad as a box of frogs

Quote Originally Posted by 69libero View Post
    Third step of the restoration, we would like to disassemble the electrical system and the remainder of the refrigerant one....
    Has a mod to keep beer cold? I was thinking about adding icebox myself

"Madness" job with intake rubber? Sorry to hear you have suffered , I am telling to anybody who is listening to use heat gun on the intake hoses to make them soft and easy to remove. Hair dryer will also work as some reporting.
    See how old Steve does it:

This will also work for reassembly. Steve has separate video on carb assembly.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 15th February 2020 at 11:57 AM.
    Polish onslaught

...you can lead a horse to water, but you canít make it drink...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast