Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This Rex is giving me grey hairs.

Re: This Rex is giving me grey hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Srednas View Post
    When I rebuilt the carbs I changed the float valves so I think I can rule that out.
    I'll give the fuel tap a whirl and see where that gets me. Cheers!
    If the float valves are OK and working, then you won't get fuel in the crank case even if the fuel tap is on Prime or leaking in the ON position. That means one or more of float valves is still sticking / leaking, despite your recent fitting of new ones.
    It could the actual float valve seat(s) in the carb body which is worn. This cannot be replaced on standard ZRX carbs (although it can if you fit ZZR CVK40 carbs).

If the fuel tap O ring is also faulty, fixing that alone won't sort the problem....as soon as the engine is started, the float valves will flood the engine again.

That makes sense.
    I'm presuming there's some form of pressure test that can be done to find the offending float valve seat / float valve?
    I'm tempted to shop around for ZZR carbs you mention.
    Are they a straight swap or are there some other modifications that need to happen to make it all run silky?

Quote Originally Posted by Srednas View Post
    That makes sense.
    I'm presuming there's some form of pressure test that can be done to find the offending float valve seat / float valve?
    I'm tempted to shop around for ZZR carbs you mention.
    Are they a straight swap or are there some other modifications that need to happen to make it all run silky?

I know it is difficult to remain focused while you are being distracted from left and right. Remember golden rule or diagnostic process = process of elimination.
    You worked through the carbs, we are not going through the carbs until other parts of the system are eliminated as potential culprits. Fix the petcock - see if leak to the crankcase is fixed. It doesn’t necessarily mean the other guy is wrong, just what is easier for you to do at this point.
    Now what would failure mode be; with petcock faulty there is additional liquid head on the valve. In addition while bike is at rest and leaning on the side valve closure force is affected by the additional friction.

While messing with the tap see if you have oem fuel hose, not one that is flaking inside and deteriorating. Regardless of fuel line Hook up Tygon tubing to the carb bowl nipple and drain to clear clean container and examine fuel for debris. They may be coming from the tank. Good luck.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 9th January 2020 at 09:54 PM.
    Polish onslaught

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12