Thread: what to do

what to do

don't know whether to replace inlet rubbers and seals and airbox rubbers, because they are 19 years old now and a bit knackered,or get pods and rejet my ZRX1100

Re: what to do

Do you have running issues?

If not, from experience I'd say leave well alone and go with the 'if it ain't broke' approach.

When I started messing with pods it was a long road to getting it running spot on. I have since fitted new inlet rubbers because the old ones were cracked and I suspected a leak, but if it's running sweet enough, I'd say leave alone.

Also changing to pods isn't all it's cracked up to be for the hassle involved (IMO anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by boge View Post
    don't know whether to replace inlet rubbers and seals and airbox rubbers, because they are 19 years old now and a bit knackered,or get pods and rejet my ZRX1100
    Depends how you use the bike. If you want reliable, all weather machine with good bottom end I would stick with airbox.
    Now, replacing rubbers - I would recommend strategic approach - do it when there is a time for carb service or do carb service when you at it regardless. New rubbers, carb orings, new Kehlin jets and carb bodies dip. That would be worth the labor.

I forgot about waterpipe inspection and oring replacement.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 27th November 2019 at 01:35 PM.
    Polish onslaught

Cheers mate, the bike is in bits at moment, so I will replace the rubbers ��

New carb rubbers make a huge difference to the ease of carb fitting and removal, just changed several on mine as I was sick of fighting with them could easily fold the new ones back to allow clearance for carb fitting they're so supple new. They seem to harden way too much after 5/6 years. The engine side ones are usually much less of a problem.

Bit of heat from H gun and even old ones become quite playable...
    Polish onslaught

That's true but still nothing like as pliable as they are from new. I found with the new ones I just fitted I could roll them back over themselves, bring in the carbs flick them and they practically jumped onto the carb mouths!

No argument with that, new is new. Being cheap though I heated mine and massaged in place rather than spending 100 bucks on new ones.
    Polish onslaught

A smear of silcone grease such as Shin Etsu works wonders on rubber to preserve it, soften it and help fitting stuff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-HON.../dp/B006Z9TZ9M

Pricey, but the best and lasts (almost) forever