Thread: Fouling plugs at random when starting

Unhappy Fouling plugs at random when starting

Hi all. I have a 2008 zrx1200. It has developed intermittent starting issues. End result is fouling of plugs when starting from cold when using the choke. I have changed fuel. Changed plugs. tried different techniques for starting in regards to choke position. I thought I had it nailed. It was starting and seemed ok. The other day I tried to start it and it fouled plugs 1 and 2. It will foul any plug at random and once it was 3 of them fouled. Definitely wet plugs from fuel. Cant be coils because it seems to be so random. When it starts it runs great like it always has. Just has to start all the time and I will be cheering again. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Re: Fouling plugs at random when starting

Sounds like a carburetor issue. Check the condition and function of the float bowl needle valves and jets ( might be gummed up or have a build up of varnish due to old standing fuel).

Removing the carbs can be a pig of a job, but if you eliminate the above, then you've gone halfway to diagnosing the problem.

most likely carb related. after 2 decades they might need a clean and float height check.
    ships get called 'she'
    I bet torpedoes don't

Also in this very moment check if your petcock is leaking....
    Polish onslaught

I have put some hotter plugs in it (cr8ek). Found small cracks in the fuel hose from the tank too. At the moment it is starting like the day I bought it. Always sounds and runs great when it starts.