Thread: K&N Pods - opinions?

K&N Pods - opinions?

Ive been running my 1200 with a stock air filter, blank plates, an Ivans jet kit with modified airbox and Yoshimura cams with a Kwick +2 advancer, JE pistons and a Remus end can with baffle (possibly a Remus system Im not sure) Ive done about 3000 miles and was happy enough especially with the top end. I then took the bike for a dyno run and got to 115 bhp. I only had one run because the dyno blew a fuse! Slight flat spot on the higher rev range due to it running rich. I suspected the bike was running a bit rich, it smells rich and starts without choke but the plugs seem okay - grey not black. So... I (like others here) fitted a set of K&N pods thinking that more air would improve matters but it doesn't its just too lean. I now have a choice of going back to the original airbox or getting a Ivan pod kit (not readily available in the UK) or Dynojet 2179 which some run on the 1100 and Im assuming will be the same for the 12.
    Some people say that the pods and bigger jets don't result in noticeable gains.

Re: K&N Pods - opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
    fitted a set of K&N pods thinking that more air would improve matters but it doesn't its just too lean..
    In terms of opinion, yeah they are great. I fitted them to mine and bought the appropriate dynojet kit and the bike pulls great and runs nicely around 13.5 AFR.

K&N's allow a lot more air through, so you'll need to rejet specifically for them. The fact you had stock air filter originally but put a jet kit on probably explains the slightly rich running, but K&N pods remove a lot of restriction from the air box and filter, so it's not a straightforward switch.

your cams and pistons need an open pipe and an open air filter. Otherwise it's a total waste of the investment. Pods are good, so is a unifilter K&N in de airbox. The pods give more noise and make working on the carbs easier. You'll need to rejet for the pods of course, but tbh you really need to get an open pipe first to make those expensive mods function.
    ships get called 'she'
    I bet torpedoes don't

I have pod filters fitted to my 1200, also an Akrapovic full system and Ivan's Pod Jet Kit. It runs excellent following his fitting instructions, but I did get it set up on a dyno (Steve Jordan's, who understands carbs) and it did need a slight tweek.

Standard cams, however I agree with Gunther, get a full system to get the full benefit. Whichever jet kit you go for, definitely get it set up on a dyno to maximise your investment.
    Keep it upright

Quote Originally Posted by Spikes View Post
    I have pod filters fitted to my 1200, also an Akrapovic full system and Ivan's Pod Jet Kit. It runs excellent following his fitting instructions, but I did get it set up on a dyno (Steve Jordan's, who understands carbs) and it did need a slight tweek.

Standard cams, however I agree with Gunther, get a full system to get the full benefit. Whichever jet kit you go for, definitely get it set up on a dyno to maximise your investment.
    Okay, thanks for your thoughts. Ill have a look at the exhaust side.

The exhaust is likely robbing you loads of power, mine showed 127hp with the engine as standard when PDQ set it up - and that's with the Kerker which isn't really a performance pipe as such (well compared to the original fitment it is!)

Just be sure to buy proper K&N's and not lookalikes. Pattern pods rob horses and can make the bike run unevenly.

Oh yeah - you need an Akra too as already said up top

Your exhaust headers are choking the engine.
    First thing to do when attempting to extract more power from these engines is to junk the stock headers & fit some larger bore ones.
    Stock ones are double wall & stifle the engine.
    I wouldnt bother with anything else until youve fitted some better headers, as you'll get nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
    Some people say that the pods and bigger jets don't result in noticeable gains.
    You will get no more power with pods and bigger jets than with a standard airbox with free flow filter and appropriate jets, despite what people who have fitted pods will tell you. They will also tell you that they love the induction noise and the look. Most people fit pods because they are too cack handed to fit the carbs with a standard box.
    TPB-Founder member HCW
    Champagne ideas on beer money

I'd agree with that - I only have pods because the bike came with them. If not I would have left the stock airbox alone.