Thread: Intermittent fouling of plugs

Intermittent fouling of plugs

I have a 2008 1200r and have intermittent starting issues with it. It is definitely flooding and fouling plugs. Sometime it will be #2 cylinder and this morning I had 1 and 2 not firing. Sometimes #3 is the culprit. Could smell fuel. Backfiring like mad. Fuel is only 2 weeks old. Plugs are new. Checked vacuum line breather from tank wasn't kinked. Battery good. No water in plug holes. I know that I can pull the plugs, clean them up, and she will fire up again. I would really appreciate any feedback to get my Rex happy and healthy again. Im getting sick of taking the tank off before going for a ride. Please help if you have any suggestions. PS, Im thinking floats getting stuck but it seems wierd that it varies to different cylinders. Cheers.

Re: Intermittent fouling of plugs

Have you checked the coils and HT leads?

Fuel tap leaking is very common, will flood whichever cylinders float is sticking.
    Float needles are not designed to work leaned over and will bind and not shut properly. Will be worse if you have attacked your frame to 'solve' a side stand issue.

Fix the tap, it's the O ring in the back not sealing properly. Get a new ring, give the spring a tweak and put it all back together.

If you can, put it on a paddock stand overnight.
    TPB-Founder member HCW
    Champagne ideas on beer money

yea mate. All checks out ok. I pulled the plugs last night and 2, 3, 4 were wet. cleaned the plugs and she fired straight away. Again this morning it was ok. Runs great after it starts. Chasing a variable somewhere

Was wondering about it leaning but thought it would have the issue all the time. I will try to keep it on the paddock stand when it sits for a few days. When I took the tank off last night I checked and there was no leak from the tap in run or reserve position. Cleaned the 3 fouled plugs and she then fired straight away. Runs perfectly fine when it starts. Today it is behaving very well. For how long and what causes it is the variable I am try to catch. Thanks for input