Thread: Valve Clatter

Valve Clatter

Hi, I recently picked up an 03 ZRX that just had over 12k miles. It did not have the 12k service so I set off to take care of that. There were 3 tight valves (barely) that I went to the next smaller shim. I also used block off plates to remove the vacuum valve thing. I have done many valve adjustments on other bikes. So this was nothing too challenging other than smaller in dia shims.

For some reason or maybe paranoia the valve clatter sounds too loud now. I am thinking I should just take it apart and double check. Could the removal of the vacuum valve and use of block off plates make the valve clatter louder?

thanks for any advice.

Re: Valve Clatter

Not really. Did you plug airbox hole?
    Polish onslaught

yes, plugged the 2 vacuum lines and the larger hose to the airbox.

could be just the added noise of the cam follower finger vs usual cam operating on a bucket with shim either over or under bucket. more stuff going on.

Suggest you get on a ride with peeps here and compare to known good motorcycle
    Polish onslaught

Really hard to say without hearing it. It could simply be a case of 'they all do that sir'.

I've always found Kwaks to have a bit more of a louder "knitting needle" chatter from the heads than other bikes, but that could just be me.

Maybe take a video of it with your phone and get the mic near enough to the engine to pick it up, then post it and we can have a listen.

Until then, only other thing I can think to check is the cam chain tensioner - is it the original one and did you notice if the cam chain was nice and firm when doing the clearances, or is a manual and might need adjusting. If a little loose you do get quite a bit of chatter from the cam chain.

They are a bit clattery, definitely more so from cold and until the oil pressure gets up. You need to be sure its only valve clatter you are hearing and not timing chain clatter - maybe drop it by someone a bit more experienced to check