Thread: What rack?

What rack?

Been out on a few rides with a top box fastened to a Renntec rack. I know I'm pushing my luck as many have broken with too much weight.
    No sign of any stress marks but only a matter of time. Renntec are rated at pathetic loading capacity.

What's the best option. Get a better rack, which one? Or get a welder to beef up the week parts? Rack looks like new.

Re: What rack?

They are all only rated at about 4Kg. Its the manufacturers covering themselves. I braced my Renntec where they always break (it did in fact break) and have no concerns now.

Personally I like a good sized,firm rack but natural no filler

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrep View Post

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrep View Post
    Well said that man
    MOTORCYCLE ACTION GROUP LIFE MEMBER

My Renntec is still holding up well, what are you lugging around gold bullion?

Quote Originally Posted by Strixvaria View Post
    They are all only rated at about 4Kg. Its the manufacturers covering themselves. I braced my Renntec where they always break (it did in fact break) and have no concerns now.
    Thanks, I'll get mine beefed up, shouldn't cost much and I'll have confidence in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Isk View Post
    My Renntec is still holding up well, what are you lugging around gold bullion?
    Givi top box fully loaded.
    The rack is plenty strong for carrying anything that will fit on normally (maybe not bullion), but with a big box fully loaded, it's only a matter if time until it breaks. I was slowing down over any bumps to reduce stress on the racks weak points. Last thing I need is a big box in the middle of nowhere and no way to carry it when the rack fails.

Now mine is braced up, its OK with a 48ltr Kappa box. I do try to keep as much weight as poss lower down in the panniers, but inevitably everything ends up full anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Strixvaria View Post
    Now mine is braced up, its OK with a 48ltr Kappa box. I do try to keep as much weight as poss lower down in the panniers, but inevitably everything ends up full anyway
    I'd love to see pics of one that's been strengthened, any chance of a photo?