Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: YSS Shock Absorbers

Re: YSS Shock Absorbers

I have a YSS shock on one of my old T3 Triumphs & it works well enough - although just how good it is, im not really sure, as ANY new replacement will feel great if the one (s) on the bike is completely knackered, so will have to be an improvement - much like fitting any new tyres will always feel better than 5 year old. bald, worn out rubber, regardless of what they are.
    Ive also thought the stock KYB shocks on a Rex are pretty decent anyway, so if they wern't knackered & worn out, i'd have thought the YSS shocks to be a bit of a sideways move rather than an "upgrade" - just my thoughts though

Overhaul it is then unless lotto comes in at weekend!

I used YSS Z366-series on my Z650 hybrid. After fitting I slashed 5 sec of my lap times at Eastern Cr Sydney. I,m building a ZRX custom at the moment and will be adding this shock. I’ll be ordering them 10mm longer to 370mm with more height adjustment to 380mm, $800AU
    Z1A900 74 original
    Z1A900 74 Stone Bike
    Z1A900 74 barn find
    Z650B1 77 Hybrid owned since new
    Z650B2 79 camp PIG
    ZRX1200r Cafe project
    S1000xr

I got a set of YSS shocks for the zrx last year and having had them on the bike for a wee while now, my observations are....

(heavy bloke, rides the zrx hard - I know its not a sportsbike, but it can give 600s a surprise or 2)

they are significantly better than the (15 year-old) standard shocks I had.

not being a lightweight, I had to run the Std Shocks hard to keep them in control - soft and it wallowed everywhere. The YSS I have about 12mm of preload and although this feels soft compared to what I was used to, they havent bottomed out, so it cant be too far out. This gives the bike a much better ride - it really is much better and Im going to have to improve the front-end now - front-end is ZX6R USD's and they previously just showed up how bad the rear was - the tables have turned and I will be sending them off this winter for a rebuild and revalve.

being able to run the rear this much softer has really helped one of my biggest issues with the zrx, in that mid-corner, if you hit a big bump, it would just bounce off-line quite dramatically, now it doesnt and holds its line so much better. I will be upping the ride-height a bit to get the steering back to the speed I like - the rear is down and it does slow the steering noticeably for me.

Accelerating hard over bumpy road surfaces has really improved - it digs in and goes now instead of skipping badly - this is giving the rear tyre an easier time - its not chewing up as much.

Id really recommend them to anyone who uses their zrx in a spirited manner and doesnt have the requisite 1k for ohlins - which are probably better, but I think the frame and swingarm will limit the bike for me long before I need suspension that good.

the only down side I find is its impractical to adjust the preload when Im in driving-miss-daisy mode with the wife on the back - the damping is in control, but combined we are overwhelming the springs and it does bottom out a bit too much for my liking. I am liking the soft/controlled ride solo too much to compromise it adding more preload just to deal with the occasional 2-up rides - first world problem I know!

9 out of 10 from me!

Thanks for your observations

Mczrx
    May I ask which model number YSS shocks you bought?
    I am considering the same mod and am 13 stone and very spirited in my riding style lol.
    Cheers
    Ian

Budget YSS ones on my REX, I couldnt afford anything better at the time. I've done about 3k miles on them and for the most part they've been pretty faultless. To be fair, i don't ride flat out everywhere...and i'm a 17st heavyweight and they've been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevril View Post
    Budget YSS ones on my REX, I couldnt afford anything better at the time. I've done about 3k miles on them and for the most part they've been pretty faultless. To be fair, i don't ride flat out everywhere...and i'm a 17st heavyweight and they've been great.
    On this site I don't think 17st is a heavyweight !!!!
    MOTORCYCLE ACTION GROUP LIFE MEMBER

I'll rename myself Twinkle toes then!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Frog View Post
    Mczrx
    May I ask which model number YSS shocks you bought?
    I am considering the same mod and am 13 stone and very spirited in my riding style lol.
    Cheers
    Ian
    they are g series (RG362-360TRCL-21 i think) - but have black springs instead of the red on the website.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12