Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accident Recovery - RAC - AA - Greenflag etc

Accident Recovery - RAC - AA - Greenflag etc

Hi Everyone

My mate came off his bike after hitting a very large pothole (on route to the meet up in Moffat). His bike was damaged and had to be recovered and as he is a member of RAC he assumed that he was covered for the recovery of the bike. It appears that the RAC and possibily others only recover your bike (car) if it breaks down and connot be repaired. There is a cost for recovery if you are involed in an accident and the bike needs to be recovered (it may be the case that this can be claimed as part of an insurance claim?).

Given the cost can be considerable - a flat rate cost and 1 per mile, it can mount up. Is anyone aware of the best options for ACCIDENT recovery? I had assumed, probably wrongly, that I was covered by my recovery company but think it is worth checking if the worst ever does happen. I intent calling my recovery company to check if I am covered and my insurance company but wondered if anyone had experience of this and any suggestions.

Cheers

Bruce

Re: Accident Recovery - RAC - AA - Greenflag etc

i pay 20 for accident recovery as part of my insurance

I have an RAC recovery policy (breakdown & accident) that covers ME, not the vehicle.
    As i have a van i use for work and a car and 6 bikes, it isn't viable to have a breakdown/accident recovery policy on each of them, so this way it covers me for any vehicle im in (including as a passenger) or any bike im riding.
    At 79 a year, i think thats a bargain :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bikesnoopy View Post
    I have an RAC recovery policy (breakdown & accident) that covers ME, not the vehicle.
    As i have a van i use for work and a car and 6 bikes, it isn't viable to have a breakdown/accident recovery policy on each of them, so this way it covers me for any vehicle im in (including as a passenger) or any bike im riding.
    Does that cover Europe?

Thanks for the advice guys - I will check out the options with both RAC and insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesnoopy View Post
    May be worth checking your policy with the RAC, I called them today and they advised me that they only cover breakdown recovery they do not have any services for Accident recovery (they can orgainsie recovery if you are in an accidxent but this is at a cost). Unless you may have some historic cover for accidents? I will check options with insurance.

Mate of mine wrote his bike off in Scotland, AA where no use at all so he rang his insurance and they sorted it straight away, just remember that if your bike fell over while, say in a carpark and broke a brake or clutch lever, AA , RAC etc wouldn't help if you only had a recovery policy. They could class it as an accident

Quote Originally Posted by t20p1 View Post
    Does that cover Europe?
    No - but i dont need it to

Quote Originally Posted by floyds zed View Post
    Mate of mine wrote his bike off in Scotland, AA where no use at all so he rang his insurance and they sorted it straight away, just remember that if your bike fell over while, say in a carpark and broke a brake or clutch lever, AA , RAC etc wouldn't help if you only had a recovery policy. They could class it as an accident
    Yeah, that is advice I got, have plugged my Insurance 24 hour hotline number into my phone!

I'm with Swinton Bikes Breadown & Recovery is about 6.99 for both my bikes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast