Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excited about my new gadget....

Excited about my new gadget....

Saw this being used on a YouTube video and decided there and then I wanted one. LOL

Re: Excited about my new gadget....

Very nice gadget as gadgets go,I always use a steel rule myself

How does it work?
    Polish onslaught

North Devon. Nr Westward Ho & Instow A39.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    How does it work?

You place one end of the steel rule on the floor next to the chain, then measure the chain slack on the other end of the rule.
    Very simple as long as you have a steel rule.

Quote Originally Posted by rayburn600 View Post
    You place one end of the steel rule on the floor next to the chain, then measure the chain slack on the other end of the rule.
    Very simple as long as you have a steel rule.
    Nice but definitely NOT how this Motion Pro tool works...
    Polish onslaught

Personally, i think they're a complete & utter waste of money & totally unnecessary.
    How can you not be able to adjust your chain to the correct level of slackness without one of these?
    Does it find the slack spot for you? Do you have to keep setting it up every time you revolve the wheel to find the slack spot so you can re-check?
    Im all for making maintenance easier & better, but this achieves neither of those & is an absolute waste of time & money

We'll I've not actually used it yet, and for many many years I've always managed to adjust my chain with a 'that looks close enough' attitude.

But after fitting a new chain and sprocket kit with my son on his 125 I thought it might be good to actually have some accurate measuring. Like I said saw it on a YouTube video, which was actually being used on a ZRX and it looked pretty good. It was just an average Joe using it not just their marketing propaganda, so seemed like a legit product.

As for finding tight/loose spots, and rechecking, that's no difference that doing it manually. It's just a fancy ruler, but measures the min and max from the swing arm.

I gather it works like this, you place the top edge against the swing arm and pull the chain down to take up the slack, set the gauge to zero then push the chain towards the swing arm - this will give you a measurement of total movement. You then adjust as normal and check again exactly how you would with a steel rule, but without having to do the math.

It was expensive for what it was so I hope it's not just a crappy gimmick. But if both of us end up using it for the many years then it's no biggy.

Just to add, it's not the same as the chain monkey thing. That does make no sense to me as you adjust the chain based on a fixed spot and I couldn't see how you use that to average out a stiff spot?

I just use a calibrated finger to push the chain up and down as it turns to find the the slack spot.

Then a calibrated eye measures the chain movement. Worked for years and costs are minimal

Quote Originally Posted by bikesnoopy View Post
    Personally, i think they're a complete & utter...

...all for making maintenance easier & better, but this achieves neither of those & is an absolute waste of time & money
    Rubbish.
    After no help from general audience I found video explaining how to work the gauge. It was not easy as dudes in some videos do not have good idea how it works.
    So gouge does give you dirrect slack measurement, reducing possibility of various human performance errors like calculation or parallax as compared to ruler method.
    So yep, it is useful, it's cool and doesn't cost a bunch....
    Polish onslaught

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast