Thread: relay arm

relay arm

not zrx related butneed some advice.as some may know i have the tz yamaha.have managed to borrow the missing relay arm and need to get one made and needs to be strong.wondered if anyone knows what grade aluminium to use? as there seems to be a lot of grades about.cheers for any thoughts.

[IMG]53245203_397434514417838_3075660710986907648_n by Nigel Wilson, on Flickr[/IMG]
    it's a good day when you wake up and stretch out and don't touch wood

Re: relay arm

I know its extra weight Nigel but Stainless or indeed carbon (mild steel for us oldies) would cure any worries.

That said, I notice it is cast/forged and not billet so would be challenging in ally possibly.

I can also get it PMI'd for you (Positive Material Identification) but if it is cast it can be a bit of a lottery (but I know a man North of Derby with the technology)

That said, if you wish to go down the ally route ill gladly pass this to our metallurgy/engineering peeps but I guess it would take a week or two (which would surpass anything gone before )
    Last edited by ZRXNige; 14th March 2019 at 10:39 PM.
    What Goes Around..........!!!

easy to make in ally nige 7075 or 7068 is strong but seems hard to track down in uk. 6082 t6 is easy to get but not sure if up to the job?

Quote Originally Posted by z1racer View Post
    easy to make in ally nige 7075 or 7068 is strong but seems hard to track down in uk. 6082 t6 is easy to get but not sure if up to the job?

7075 T6 is almost twice as strong as 6082 T6. Based on application I would rather ride on 7075....
    Polish onslaught

So is the issue you cant get what you want (oooeerrr matron) or dont know what you want as im now confused

For unobtainable, these people have pulled us out of the mire in the past - http://nomax.co.uk/ and if they dont have it will possibly know who will.

We also us a plethora of material suppliers (mainly pipe and boiler/structural steels I grant) but if you dimension it I will gladly ask our material people if then can identify a supplier?

Scrub all that as Mr Google says its very available - to name just two:

https://www.metalex.co.uk/metal-supp...y-7075t6-t651/

https://stainlessandaluminium.co.uk/...alloy-7075-t6/
    Last edited by ZRXNige; 15th March 2019 at 09:41 AM.

In the past, I've used these guys for some alloy material. Might be worth giving them a call on Monday to see what they've got in stock and price.

https://www.brindleymetals.co.uk/?gc...SAAEgIeRvD_BwE

Let us know how you got on.. If you want an engineer to make the part, I can highly recommend P&M Motorcycles in Brentford or Martin Russell of Rustler Racing Ltd in Birmingham.

I actually wonder if a late TZR one wouldn't fit

thanks for the imput.was getting conflicting info on what to use as safety comes first.seems 7o75 is best but seamed hard to find.i must not be doing it right nige.but have found a company in manchester so going to get in touch with them.if not will try your recomendations.
    thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    I actually wonder if a late TZR one wouldn't fit
    eh up nige it appears this just goes on this model acording to folks in the know.even the next model is different

It appears to span 93-95 and fitted to the 94 125

# 4DP 2217A00