Thread: Kayaba KHL 15-10 fork oil equivalency

Kayaba KHL 15-10 fork oil equivalency

Well, the book call for KYB KHL 15-10 fork oil. Searching web for equivalency I am noticing bit of confusion.
    Anybody here has a smarts on this?
    Polish onslaught

Re: Kayaba KHL 15-10 fork oil equivalency

Guess not... Lots of confusion out there based on my Google searches.

Since I have leak confirmed I need to order the oil, read have to decipher myself:
    First this KHL designation referenced by Honda and some Kawasaki manuals is not a Kayaba specific designation.
    With my limited time search and available resources I wasn't able to fully decipher it. I suspect it is some Japanese market specific designation.
    Important thing is number 15. Based on comparable viscosity from readily available published testing it looks to be SI kinematic viscosity number in centistockes at 40 degree C.
    This would designate oil according to ISO 3448 as ISO VG 15. This is important because we can look up the kinematic viscosity limits for that oil designation that are 13.5 to 16.5 cSt per ISO.

This put us into KYB 01M or Motul Factory Line Very Light territory. Both are available for order and since price is similar I will go with OEM fluid.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 19th March 2019 at 03:48 PM.
    Polish onslaught

Bit pissed... Apparently one just can't buy the right stuff.

First time they forked the order, then they forked it second time in the same exact way.
    Good part number is on the baggie but wrong shit is in the baggie and there is no way around It, regardless of the amount of explaining involved.
    I have no more time to waste with those stooges. Order cancelled, money returned and off the shelf Motul Expert Light purchased for half price of KYB 01M. Sometimes I just can't win.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 5th April 2019 at 09:25 PM.
    Polish onslaught

At the end I am happy with how the fork job turned out and how front end feels

http://www.zrxocboard.com/board/show...American/page8

Perhaps because original setup was described as soft by some so firming it a bit turned out to be plus.
    Different thing with my GSXR setup, that also has Motul Expert Light now, next service I will go down to Very Light.
    Polish onslaught