Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda Big Boy American

Re: Honda Big Boy pumpkin flush

Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    Pumpkin flush

Took whole day actually wifey throw me out of the garage in the morning. Familly time racket...

But I catch up in the evening. Pumpkin takes only 200ccm of hypoil. Have enough left to repeat at coming short interval oil change.

Found some white voodoo markings on the plugs. Crossed with own red mark to keep evil eye at bay...
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 4th March 2019 at 02:28 AM.
    Polish onslaught

Re: Honda Big Boy pumpkin flush

Some impressions from week long ownership. Totally obscure bike down here, hardly anybody knows what it is, so it gets lots of attention. Downside; literally all parts orders were delayed and instead of parts I was expecting delivered for the weekend I was getting shipping notices from the vendors.
    Horn is plain ridiculous, polite or something. I found myself riding and beeping cuz it sounds fun. Need to buy forked up mean German hella horn and replace beep-beeper.

Only second tank of fuel. Apparently you need to fill them all the way up according to the internetS.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 5th March 2019 at 10:33 PM.
    Polish onslaught

Re: Honda Big Boy American

Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    Well, looks like I will be getting new driveshaft assembly courtesy of Honda.
    Called few dealerships to see how they set up replacement. One jocker wanted to store my bike on premises for 3 weeks from the time I drop it off and they order the parts.
    Other confirmed this to be temporary insanity case and offered to order the parts over the phone, no brainier on a job they are getting pay 1.2 hours by Honda. But I am not ready yet with registration paperwork.
    Sane one has service history on my bike up to and including 6k service that was done 2014. Good to know as I will be nailin' the others also.
    Others in the general area of our metropolis are not working Mondays and Tuesdays. I will get them later.
    Now with bike tagged I called remaining dealership closest to my garage to set up free driveshaft replacement on the bike. Unfortunately this dude was also affected by honda disease and wanted to keep my bike hostage until parts arrive.
    I read on the forums that it used to take some time as the recall shafts are arriving through some special channels. I don't know how it is in 2018 but I am not leaving the bike in some hole for potentially weeks.

That left my with only sane bastard that actually ordered parts over the phone and will set up appointment once parts arrive. Longest trip but good to have choices.

Surprisingly my halfcover fits Big Boy just barely but fits. Bonus
    Polish onslaught

Whoa! Shop manual arrives

Proper shite I have to say, like 600 pages. Done in Japanese manner that I know and appreciate.
    Wonder if they do have separate EWD systems book. Need to check that out.
    I was using Russian internet scan for the couple of times I needed it but pictures were all illegible, done on cheap. scanner.
    My copy comes from now defunct bike shop. Bit character on edges but barely used.

Best approach by far to shop manuals was from Red Husqvarna. Bike comes with factory logo thumb drive with both owner and shop manual first class pdf on it.
    Polish onslaught

Service package is also here after two weeks

Apparently Honda likes little plastic baggies. Everything in sealed baggies even brake pads.
    So we have air filter - aftermarket Hiflo.
    Oil filters
    Brake pads and caliper mounting bolts
    Fork seals
    Lower cowl grommets and bushings x2

Brake pads are killers at 120 bucks. Geeez
    KYB seals cheap on the other hand. Damn Kawasaki is killing us for the same stuff.
    OEM air filter also carried ridiculous price. Got hiflo instead. Appears well made with plastic frame and metal reinforcing mesh. It was 24 busks delivered.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 8th March 2019 at 02:12 PM.
    Polish onslaught

Servicing parking brake caliper. Micro mechanical caliper with metallic pads.

Thing to watch for with free floating calipers, buggered pins. Cleaned this one with steel wool and lube with silicone grease.

All done and ready to go

Main rear caliper is next
    Polish onslaught

Rear main caliper is pretty massive, two piston design. It is also free floating. Base bracket holds ABS sensor.

Shims are quite interesting, composite. Steel and polymer.

Pads can be replaced super easy, just one pin has to be removed. One that's goes through the pad ears. Then both pads can slide back from the caliper. Quite ingenious

All slide pins cleaned and lubed with silicone grease per manual. Blue threadlocker applied mimicking oem applications.
    Pads deglazed and cleaned. Disk cleaned with steel wool and acetone.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 9th March 2019 at 11:38 AM.
    Polish onslaught

The calipers look in good condition, it should be a sweet bike once it's all serviced. I think the design was ahead of the time but I really like them

Team Fat Bastard
    RBLR1000 Iron Butt UK Member 2012
    I'm not a complete idiot.............................some bits are missing

Quote Originally Posted by yox View Post
    The calipers look in good condition, it should be a sweet bike once it's all serviced. I think the design was ahead of the time but I really like them
    Thanks!
    So far I am pretty pleased with overall condition. Garage kept and such.
    Still lots of work with general service and setting up bike to my specs but is all fun.

Polish onslaught

Just inn. Usual shenanigans, I like this style of the oil cap

Polish onslaught

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast