Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda Big Boy American

Honda Big Boy American

So it is official. I close the deal today on 2010 VFR1200FD. Brought it home ant to be honest at the end of the day I am beat. Busy, busy, busy beat but happy.

Polish onslaught

Re: Honda Big Boy American

Too beat yesterday evening to finish the day thread. Whole buying expirience, inspecting, testing, test driving, haggling, paperwork, then some more haggling was bit draining plus day was hot as mother at 30C then I was hit by the soaker torrential downpour. Blow dried though before reaching home... What a way to spend a morning

After I brought bike home, first thing is to do the oil change, right away more checking and inspecting

Note thing has two oil filters. One regular car oil filter and one dirt bike filter for clutch packs.

Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 24th February 2019 at 10:06 AM.
    Polish onslaught

Getting the filters was a trip. I usually order my parts online but due to time pressure I had to get the filters locally.
    First phone call I was informed that this particular model was not sold in United States. Bit of coaching and dude finally called me back that he did found it on the parts diagram and it's in stock.

Honda power dealership looks brand new and is in different location that I originally thought first looking at Google... farther.

Interesting observation, looks like they are pushing Africa Twin by the trailer loads. Tons of Africa bikes already inside and special section dedicated to it just for clothing, mods and accessories.
    Second model present in uge numbers are new Goldwings.

Now, I got to enjoy all that scenery in details as all people on hand mobilized to find the small filter that comp was showing in stock.
    Took ages but finally I got it. Thank you guys
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 24th February 2019 at 10:35 AM.
    Polish onslaught

Bit on riding experience. Really not something I have expected and difficult to explain. Acceleration It's like winding up turbine power No gear change dips, just rocket launch. Bike is very stable and manuverable at high speed. Brakes are class of it's own.

All feels more like computer game motorcycling than actual riding.
    Controls are well done, control switches are shared by both hands and quite intuitive, by the end of my 60 miles ride home I was confident with it.
    There are 3 drive mode Lazy, Sport and Manual.
    Nothing to say about Lazy setting, gets you there. I hit some stop and go road construction crawl traffic and the thing was working a million.
    Sport setting is very nice, just concentrate on doge ball game of expressway riding. Lastly manual setting, lets you dictate gear change as on regular motorcycle. Although there is engine overspeed protection, it will not downshift to the gear that would overspeed.
    Polish onslaught

Bit of nit picking in the morning. Torque checks, maintenance adjustments and such.

Single imperfection on the whole bike

Looks like material transfer to the polymer coat on the grab bar. Sharpie takes care of that

Of course all the beautiful reflectors are still there together with original mudguard. I have to look for some taill tidy for it.

Polish onslaught

What is it like in traffic with the auto clutch? like a big scooter? does it creep on tickover?

Team Fat Bastard
    RBLR1000 Iron Butt UK Member 2012
    I'm not a complete idiot.............................some bits are missing

Quote Originally Posted by yox View Post
    What is it like in traffic with the auto clutch? like a big scooter? does it creep on tickover?
    While in D mode In stop and go traffic comp does change the gears b/w 1 and 2nd so you can feel the transition, particularly you do not back on the throttle for the change. Lounches forward.
    Once it switches to second it tries to maintain it, will go to first to prevent engine stall though.
    So no, it does not have feel of variable speed transmission.

I am not noticing creep, actually needs good throttle control, mind you are sitting at the back bumper of car in front of you.
    Polish onslaught

Runned out of daylight learning the bike
    Polish onslaught

Well, looks like I will be getting new driveshaft assembly courtesy of Honda.
    Called few dealerships to see how they set up replacement. One jocker wanted to store my bike on premises for 3 weeks from the time I drop it off and they order the parts.
    Other confirmed this to be temporary insanity case and offered to order the parts over the phone, no brainier on a job they are getting pay 1.2 hours by Honda. But I am not ready yet with registration paperwork.
    Sane one has service history on my bike up to and including 6k service that was done 2014. Good to know as I will be nailin' the others also.
    Others in the general area of our metropolis are not working Mondays and Tuesdays. I will get them later.
    Polish onslaught

Quote Originally Posted by yox View Post
    ...does it creep on tickover?
    I have to re address this since I didn't understand correctly what English mean for tickover.
    I treated it as typo for "takeoff", then I see the word used again today. Better to Google it
    So this mean idle!

Funny thing with idle, first when I was shifting to drive I was holding bike with brakes just like I would a car. But No, it shifts into first but clutch is not engaged and bike holds still.
    Inability to have bike in gear, clutch engaged and engine off leads to the need for parking brake that bike has.
    There is a lever on handlebar and extra caliper on the rear wheel.
    Polish onslaught

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast