Thread: wheels across models

wheels across models

The first ZRX I was planning to buy turned out to be in pretty poor condition, so I skipped out on that and have found another. So far only seen photos online, and overall this look much better but one thing that does look like it needs some attention is the paint on the rear wheel. Possible from balance weights, or maybe over enthusiastic pressure washing, I'm not sure but looks like there's a bit of paint flake.

Plus the wheels are blue and the bike is all blue, and it's a bot OTT IMO, so if the wheels need painting anyway I'd go for black (or a part of me thinks gold as gold and blue can work ? ) anyway. Last time I painted wheels, had an all green ZX7r I picked up a spare set of wheels, stripped them and painted them up, stashed them in the loft to slow bake over summer and finally got new tyres fitted for an easy swap over without ever needing to take the bike off the road for a prolonged period. I'm all for a bit of Team Green, but I think the before was a bit much:

So thinking the same I started looking for wheels last night on eBay and found some listed for ZRX1100, would these be the same for a 1200 and are they the same across all years? Also are there other bikes that share the same parts. I know when I had my ZX9r the rear wheel on this was the same as the 7r, it was just the front that were different?

Re: wheels across models

The fronts are the same but the 1200 rear (5.5") is wider than the 11 (5").

ZZR11 fit (but are heavier) as does the 6" wide zx9 but the latter needs a fair bit of modding and you cant centre it (much like the 1200 tho that has an offset rear wheel)

Nigel (aka z1 racer) has fitted them tho so he would be the man to ask and there is a fair bit on wheels in the pitstop that you can access after 20 posts
    What Goes Around..........!!!

You should be able to find an S at a reasonable price

Once you get the bike it will be a money pit for a while before you sort it out. Then after that initial spending shock passes why not to get better wheels?

By the way then blue helmet really tell how much you care bout colors. Fulling me not
    Polish onslaught

As an aside, nice 7R there.

I still miss mine. Would love another but I toured Cornwall and did about 1000 miles over a long weekend on it and could barely walk afterwards - that was when I decided it was my last sports bike as my knee's weren't liking the position anymore.

That said, having one for just an occasional Sunday blast might be nice <starts thinking of excuses for the missus>

Thanks, it was a lovely bike thoroughly enjoyed it. Had a Gilles rear set so shoved your heels even further up your ass than the normal riding position. That was 6 or 7 years ago I let it go so not sure how well I'd get on with it now, lol.

I used to use it mainly to commute for work and had a great blast through some country roads then right round the outskirts of Bristol, with some nice sweeping bends of the ring-road and some fun roundabouts. Then I changed jobs and ended up 30 miles straight up the M5, kind of took all the fun out of it riding it in a straight line all the time. It was a waste to do that journey on that bike so sadly let it go.

However that said one, particular sunny Friday afternoon when I manged to finish work a bit early I swapped the Cheltenham to Bristol commute for the long way, up and over and down the Welsh side ;-)

I know what you mean with the commute. I changed jobs a few years ago and now it's pretty much straight up the M11 and same as you find riding the bike boring now on the straight motorway and tend to take the car unless it's a nice day and go the back roads

I'm determined to use the bike more this year though once spring comes around and make a point of riding the back roads more often. Takes a bit longer but much more enjoyable

That is one very nice bike you have there mister.

I think I want one.... oh NOO ! I’m gonna get killed again...