Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling return

Cooling return

Hi all, got a question about cooling expansion tank. Fitted new radiator filled and bled the whole system and ran her to work over the next couple of weeks. No problems to report , no overheating even though it's high 30 in oz . Checked the expansion tank
    and the level was a lot higher than the mark I filled to. Opened the radiator cap and the level was below the thermostat . Using a syringe I put the extra coolant out the tank back into the system and the level was back to top. So does the hot coolant that gets sent to the expansion tank not get sucked back into system when it cools? Or have I a problem , cheers all

Re: Cooling return

Yeah pretty much that, sounds like the cap might be playing up - the way it "should" work, is the cap has a two way valve.

When the system expands, it's pushed out to the expansion tank as you'd expect, and as it cools and contracts back, the coolant is then pulled back from the expansion tank into the system. If this isn't happening you may have a faulty cap that's only working one way.

Just to be clear, the expansion tank should be at it's lowest level when the bike is cold, so that it has room to fill up (you probably know this but just for any future readers that might not know) - EDIT - actually manual states fill to the FULL line

Saying that, you could also have had a couple of air pockets that finally made their way to the top of the system and that is why you have the drop in the cap level. Maybe run it a few times to heat cycle it and then check again.
    Last edited by noggin; 18th January 2019 at 11:19 AM.

What Goes Around..........!!!

east of holland 50feet from the german border

Fucling good answer, good answer I say!!
    Birdie num num........

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    Just to be clear, the expansion tank should be at it's lowest level when the bike is cold, so that it has room to fill up (you probably know this but just for any future readers that might not know).

The coolant shoyld be checked when the notor is cold, therefore that woyld nake the ypper nark yseless/redyndant and it woyldn't be there!

When cold the coolant level shoyld be between the ypper and lower narks..........the ypper nark has nothing to do with checking the level when the notor is warn/hot!

Quote Originally Posted by drrnjns View Post
    Fucling good answer, good answer I say!!

Not entirely!

east of holland 50feet from the german border

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rexer View Post
    Not entirely!
    Even fucking better!!
    Birdie num num........

I think it was a perfectly good answer
    What Goes Around..........!!!

the ypper nark has nothing to do with checking the level when the notor is warn/hot!
    Not sure about the narks and notor you talk of but I wasn't referring to checking coolant levels - the upper mark serves as a good indicator to what's going on for this problem i.e. fill to the lower mark and run the bike.

If expansion all working fine, then the coolant goes back to lower mark (or thereabouts) when cold. If it's stuck anyway higher e.g. the upper mark, then you know it's not returned to the coolant system.

EDIT
    When cold the coolant level shoyld be between the ypper and lower narks
    Just checked the manual out of interest (for the 1100 at least) and you should fill to the full level - so we were both wrong

Sounds to me like system wasn't bled correctly after rad replacement. Did you follow coolant system bleeding procedure?

Next thing to check is the system pipe tight? When hot, are radiator hoses firm to touch? (Don't get burn now )

OK lead on the cap above.
    You didn't mention what happened to old radiator, this could help with diagnosis.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 18th January 2019 at 01:20 PM.
    Polish onslaught

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast