Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Battle Begins -Carbs

The Battle Begins -Carbs

I have had my bike in and out of the shop many times in the last few years for issues with my carbs and my bike leaking. After many dollars and no fix, I decided to take on the challenge myself, with a little help from some friends. We thought we were just dealing with some varnish in the carbs due to varnish in the tank. However, once we opened up the carbs we are now completely perplexed as to what is going on. Please take a look at the photos and let me know if you have an insight as to what we are dealing with. Right now, we are guessing aliens. That "jelly" turns to hard plastic in some places. WHAT IS IT? What is the best way to clean it? Is there any hope?
    IMG_2274.jpgIMG_2276.jpg

Re: The Battle Begins -Carbs

Never seen anything like Whats round the main jet (looks like silicone but surely cant be) although ive seen worse condition carbs than that (phil had some that were shocking but I cant find his pics)

Either way its no biggy and a strip and hand clean followed by a good soak in an ultrasonic bath would sort them (albeit it may be wise to replace the pilot jets themselves as due to the small restriction in them even ultrasonic can struggle to do its thing) but of course you will know more when they are completely down and you can inspect the components.
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Okay. Thanks. Could you direct me to a carb diagram? I am afraid I won't get it all back together.

Im not sure ive seen one per se but the two diagrams on the link are useful

http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com...-C2&country=GB

Quote Originally Posted by zrx11girl View Post
    Okay. Thanks. Could you direct me to a carb diagram? I am afraid I won't get it all back together.
    See this training series on CVK carbs

Make sure you organise stuff per carb. I use plastic cutlery inserts for drawers that are dirt cheap in Ikea. I organise carb parts by whatever comes from top and separately bottom. Number the carb bodies by scribing and have corresponding numbers on bins.
    Don't leave parts laying loose on the table.

Buy oring set from Pete Aronson as well as bowl gaskets

Now for cleaning your goo off you definitely need full dissassembly and compressed air. Once fully disassembled with jets out, preliminary clean with carb cleaner and blow through each passage. After that dunk it if living in free country or whatever is allowed as substitute in your jurisdiction.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 15th January 2019 at 11:41 PM.
    Polish onslaught

That "jelly" seems to be something to do with aluminium reacting possibly with ethanol in the fuel. People have mixed opinions and the jury is still out from what I can gather.

Do you use the E10 fuel regularly by any chance? A guy on YouTube has been carrying out a long term experiment with various metals and plastics in pure ethanol (well as pure as you can buy) to see the effects (around 5 mins in, he swears a fair bit if you're the sensitive type - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mLn4NnkKTw)

Nearly a year and there's no effect to most of the plastics and O-rings, but an interesting thing he noticed recently was a sort of gel-like film appearing on the aluminium pieces. I think if allowed to sit it could be this that builds up if you use fuels with high ethanol content and not a lot of use.

People argue the reaction between ethanol and aluminium shouldn't create this gel, but looks like others say there's more to it and with the presence of water it could contribute or maybe there's something else in the fuel lines creating the gel that then builds up. I don't know the chemistry but it could be something along these lines maybe.

I do a lot of carb refurbs (main the older slide Mikunis from the air cooled Zeds and Suzukis) and see this sort of stuff on and off.
    I personally think it's something to do with the water splitting out when the fuel is stood - as I see more of this on older bikes which are generally used less frequently.

The worst thing is that if you drain your carbs over winter, then this stuff goes hard and crumbly. This then causes havoc when you come to re-use the bike.

My advice is to use a fuel stabiliser if your bike is to be stood for any length of time, drain the float bowls and if possible get the bowls off to check that they are clean. A lot of hassle, but at least you know all is going to be good.
    Life is hard - and then you die...

Hi! Thanks for all your replies. I was busy cleaning and polishing the carbs and then battling getting them back on the bike.

We did organize things per carb...only opened one at a time to make sure nothing got mixed up.

I do use Ethanol gas and have come to realize that the start of all the problems with my bike coincide with the use of ethanol fuel. It is hard to find non-ethanol fuel that is high octane!

I bought fuel stabilizer to use going forward.

The first time getting the carbs out took forever, then getting them back in took a little less time, but we missed something, and had to back it out again. That time it was quick, then getting them back in the 2nd time was much quicker...then the throttle cables were messed up. The third time was a charm! I still have work to do on the gas line and the petcock so it is not running yet, but we are getting there. I think at this point I am no longer afraid of removing my carbs!

Thanks!

Yeah it's a pain to do work on carbs - I'm currently 'tuning' mine somewhat and they're in and out loads, but fortunately I've got pod filters on which makes a huge difference in ease of removal.

In terms of the ethanol fuel, you should be fine once all the carb gunk is cleaned up, it shouldn't come back too easily if the bike is used regularly, but if not I'd maybe not leave it standing for a long time with that fuel in or at least close the fuel tap and drain the float bowls down.

Come winter lay up time, run some seafoam through it and you will have no varnishing problems come the spring/riding time

Also, if you haven't thoroughly soaked them or had them in an ultrasonic bath to fully clean the pilot circuits then you need to take them out and clean them again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast