Thread: Fitting JE pistons 1200

Fitting JE pistons 1200

Happy new year all! Decided to reward myself for Christmas with a set of JE 12.5:1 pistons for the 1200, just looking for a few tips on fitting. I've been running the bike without base gasket last few years with the ZZR pistons, is it ok and safe to do the same with the JE pistons? Also its been said the +4 advancer needs to be ditched with these so I suppose reverting to standard would be safer in the absence of a 2 degree one. The gudgeon pin circlips supplied with these are 'spirolocks' which I've not used before, any tips on proper fitting would be great.
    Jetting-wise is it likely to need to go up a size on the main jets? Old ZZR pistons have come out with a fair bit of carbon on top so I suppose mixture is fairly rich as it currently is and presumably higher compression leans up a bit? Cheers.

Re: Fitting JE pistons 1200

When I did my 1224 with JE high comp pistons, PDQ advised me to use the base gasket and also go back to a standard advancer.

The jetting shouldn't need changing unless it was wrong in the first place...but can be obviously fine tuned on a dyno if you're chasing numbers or want to get it perfect.

Re: Fitting JE pistons 1200

Thanks suppose going from 10.5:1 to 12.5:1 is a fairly noticeable hike without ditching the base gasket.