Thread: Brake light help

Brake light help

Hi need a bit of help or advice, when I push on back brake peddle the brake light comes on ok ,but donít come on when I pull front brake lever light donít come on Iíve replaced the front switch but when I tested it without fitting it , just pushed the to connectors on the switch the brake light came on permanently and when I pushed button on switch the bulb went out and comes back on when I release button so the oppersite to what it should be Any advice on how or what to check for much appreciated

Re: Brake light help

That's the correct operation.

When your front brake is not being used, the lever pushes the switch in and turns the light off.

As you pull the lever, it allows the little button to pop back out and turn the light on.

It's the opposite to how you would work a push switch which is what's confused you, but in operation that's how it works as operates off the back of the lever and not the front, so releases when you pull the lever, not presses (if you see what I mean).

Just fit the new switch and see if it works when in place

It is counterintuitive but stop light microswitch is closed without force applied to it. When force is applied circuit opens.
    Now after you install it make sure you have brake light on at the point of actual breaking. Sometime plunger needs to be trimmed to achieve that, particularly when brakes were modded with stainless hoses
    Polish onslaught

Thanks yes it confused me ,doesn’t take much lol .i will fit it tomorrow and see cheers

Cheers guys yes switch works ok once fitted itís the opposite to what I thought , my inexperience so once again thanks for help

No worries, it's Fail-Safe design philosophy. Great you have fixed you stop light...
    Polish onslaught

Quote Originally Posted by Photoman View Post
    Cheers guys yes switch works ok once fitted it’s the opposite to what I thought , my inexperience so once again thanks for help
    No worries, they are a little 'backwards' when you first encounter them, but when you see how the lever actually operates them it makes sense