Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help to build ZRX400.

Re: Need help to build ZRX400.

Yep, Euro bikes are mostly crap not withstanding our geographic reliability and longevity requirements.
    Now regardless of your current season length I think bikes speak to our open steppe spirit. Our ancestors domesticated horse after all

PDF manual should be available over the net, I have seen few good leads with just simple search. Hardcopies are also popping up from time to time on the feabay.
    Another idea is to look for other applications, I am not familiar with 400 engine but I am sure they stuffed it in other, hopefully more populous motorcycles.
    Polish onslaught

I haven’t given anything for a long time, but that doesn’t mean that things stand still.
    A lot of things happened, I successfully, with your help, solved many important issues and not only.
    The first thing I would like to say, I have successfully found a jet kit for the CVK30 carburetor. I had to order it in America, AZ Phoenix, which is exactly on the other side of the globe from my location.

Successfully managed to install new brackets footrests. But here many difficulties arose, because it is impossible to just make E4-6 from E3. Only the steps themselves were fixed without problems. The brake pedal, gearbox pedal switch, springs, brake light switch mounting bracket, even the rear brake cylinder rod had to be replaced with new ones.

All that is in the picture below is now not compatible with this motorcycle.

Then I found the brake calipers from the ZZR 400-1 and decided to put them. Initially, they looked very bad. I had them almost dressed, painted, installed a new set of rubber bands. A friend made me adapters from 40mm to 53mm (as far as I remember). The rear brake cylinder remained factory, but was repaired similarly.

Replaced upholstery on the seat and made a new belt for the passenger, instead of the missing one. The belt was made by my friend, so this is a real handmade work made according to my sketch.

In the rear shock absorbers, oil is replaced and new oil seals are installed. The glands come from some kind of Kawasaki motocross motorcycle for children. From what exactly I can not say - I did not.
    For 20 years in them from 13 bar of pressure only 3 bars remained. Now the pressure in them is normal again, the oil does not flow and they work fine.
    The front fork just replaced the oil and installed new springs with progressive winding from the Moscow company PM Garage. I think that it is useless to look for who you are, because even in our area their dealer network consists of two stores in the whole country.

Gradually, the motorcycle acquires the form, repairs are repaired, which was not carried out with quality at the previous owners and is being rebuilt. It remains only to give a dozen parts in powder coating and paint the plastic.
    Vodka. Matryoshka. The Kremlin.

Good work sir and im loving the calipers
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Looks like you're doing a good job there
    If a man is alone in a forest with no women around is he still wrong.

Looks like good progress. I am not sure if your budget allows but stainless steel caliper bolts would really make them pop.
    Polish onslaught

Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    Looks like good progress. I am not sure if your budget allows but stainless steel caliper bolts would really make them pop.
    I wanted to write about it a little later, but once the conversation went, I’ll tell you about the bolts.
    Bolts for calipers will be stainless steel. And bolts for caliper brackets too. I completely forgot to measure how long the caliper bolts should be and while I ran only in search of bolts for adapters. Bolts for calipers buy a little later. Turner made adapters with a different thread. The caliper is bolted with M10x1.25 threaded bolts, and the adapters in the forks of the fork are bolted with M10x1.5 threaded bolts. In all the shops I know with fasteners there are no 1.25 threaded bolts. I could use the factory ones, but they would look different. Since I could not pick up eight different bolts with different threads, I had to buy expensive bolts with a long part without a thread and cut them myself. That's it.)

Today was a day off, I took the fuel tank and plastic for painting. I decided not to change the color of Kawasaki "Black Pearl", but there was no desire to buy the original paint either. When comparing, I found out that the color of AvtoVAZ "602 Aventurine" (for searching in Russian "цвет 602 авантюрин") is very similar to the color of Kawasaki, and finding it is not comparable easier. The plastic sprayed by me in the fall did not differ from the color of the tank. But I did not like the quality of painting in the garage, so the work was entrusted to professionals.
    Also, today the courier must bring the necessary parts so that I complete the installation of the left step bracket and the gear shift lever.
    Last edited by Fraaanz!; 26th March 2019 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraaanz! View Post
    I wanted to write about it a little later, but once the conversation went, I’ll tell you about the bolts.
    Bolts for calipers will be stainless steel. And bolts for caliper brackets too. I completely forgot to measure how long the caliper bolts should be and while I ran only in search of bolts for adapters. Bolts for calipers buy a little later. Turner made adapters with a different thread. The caliper is bolted with M10x1.25 threaded bolts, and the adapters in the forks of the fork are bolted with M10x1.5 threaded bolts. In all the shops I know with fasteners there are no 1.25 threaded bolts. I could use the factory ones, but they would look different. Since I could not pick up eight different bolts with different threads, I had to buy expensive bolts with a long part without a thread and cut them myself. That's it.)

I ordered bolts for my caliper sets from some English outfit, expensive but heck let them make bit of money.
    I am not kin to use stainless on my caliper mounting bolts thought. I just use OEM factory new.
    Polish onslaught

OEM bolts, I also can not install without modifications. The adapter was made a little thinner than fasteners on the plug, so that the original bolts would also have to cut the thread and shorten it. At the moment, they run into the brake disc.)
    I would not say that stainless steel is very expensive if we buy in small sets. But for large purchases, the difference becomes very noticeable.

The thing with stainless bolts is that they may well be weaker than the stock items. You need to see what is written on the head. If it says something like A2 60, then do not use them. The tensile strength is too low. You need 80, either A2 or A4. And please do not use bolts in a high stress area where you have cut a thread into the the rolled formed area. You will have just weakened them considerably. It's ok to do this with bolts holding an old bracket on, but do not use these when holding your brakes on.
    I'm surprised that no one else has picked up on this. Spend a bit of coin and do it right, your brakes will save your life.
    TPB-Founder member HCW
    Champagne ideas on beer money

Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    I ordered bolts for my caliper sets from some English outfit, expensive but heck let them make bit of money.
    I am not kin to use stainless on my caliper mounting bolts thought. I just use OEM factory new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    I'm surprised that no one else has picked up on this....
    I did what I could considering we do not allow dual technology transfer to Russia.
    I signed papers, sorry
    Polish onslaught

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast