Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to Polish - Tools

Re: How to Polish - Plastic Things

Plastics maintenance

Clear plastic cleaner and polisher from Mcguiars or whatever you spell it plus cheap buffer with expensive pad.
    China buffer works and I have it for years. Only potential drawback is a gear noise, don't care

Up here we have lots of problems with uv damage and clear plastics require special care.
    Cleaning and buffing of windscreen and headlights with power then microfiber hand rub.

Word on caution on rex mini windscreen. Hold down screws are black and will eventually get shiny on top when power buffed. Mine are with character after 20 years, may get stainless or titan if I can remember to order them...
    Polish onslaught

Re: How to Polish - Plastic Things

Last week I did tranny fluid on my truck. Guess what I am doing now instead of adjusting chain on suki:

Yep right, tranny fluid on her 'onda ....

Ramps are good thing to have for light duty kind of work. Cheap and durable.

Don't forget to get wheel chock to complete the set
    Polish onslaught

Re: How to Polish - Polish Measure

Bit on tools to help with advanced diagnostics. We have couple of brake pulsation threads and those warrant some more involved diagnostic, particularly if one already spent millions on fancy aftermarket rotors.

Dial indicator with base:

Mine has heavy duty magnetic base and is a veteran of many garage wars. Heavy duty base precision is an overkill for general mechanics but it works. If you are planning to get one just for brake work I suggest clamp on base.

Below is a example of okayish clamp on base setup.

https://m.harborfreight.com/clamping....google.com%2F

Side note, I can't believe how cheap tools become thanks to hard working people of China
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 3rd March 2019 at 12:41 PM.
    Polish onslaught

Light duty mike is enough for most mechanic measurements. One above has range 0 to 25 mm. Good for valve shim thickness, rotor thickness, valve stem diameter and etc

Mikes come with 25 mm range increments. Larger sizes are are needed for piston diameter measurements and to set up bore gauge to measure cylinder diameter and subsequently wear.
    Polish onslaught

Little starter kit for a aspiring mechanic:

VIS means power in Latin. It truly is
    Polish onslaught

I usually enjoy fresh Moss, but this is the first time I actually saw him turn wrenches yesterday:

Like guy alot but his selection of tools was consistently odd through this video. Didn't have time to watch the rest of the pieces in the series. Will see them later.
    Guess this got me to realize that not only tools matter but also to know when to use what. I am going to pick up on this a little using the big guy as an example.

So Dave lays path of unnecessary destruction behind during this basic dissasembly, plus now and then put his limb in the line of fire.
    Understandably wrenching skills not always accompany often very knowledgeable individuals. It is just set of skills that follows 20k work hours.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 8th April 2019 at 08:18 PM.
    Polish onslaught

So why is Dave laboring so hard?
    For most of the time his go-to tool is not the best for the job on hand.

Go - to 3/8 drive ratchets to undo mid size bolts. Note how much longer handle is compared to the standard lenght ratchet on the right .
    Standard lenght makes even big boy like Moss suffer, them overextersion and slippage damaging hardware and surrounding bike pieces.
    Polish onslaught

Now, big guy is totally missing on headstock nuts torque. Both upper and lower nut torque is substantial and his spanner wrench is just pitiful, not to mention going to hammer and screw driver combo next... pueleease...

Didn't fancy spending 60 bucks on the special crown nut socket so I free hand grind my own out of cheap impact socket. Work a milion.
    Polish onslaught

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234