Thread: How to Polish - Tools

How to Polish - Tools

Long time promised and I bet very much anticipated Polish tools thread. I am thinking review and perhaps some shop use and maintenance tips will be included in the series.

Starting from pride and joy of every mechanic, 1/2 inch impact driver or air gun.
    My weapon of choice is Ingersoll Rand Titanium 2100 series driver.
    This us how Titanium sings

So we developed bit of a problem: gun runs all the time with air supply connected.
    This indicates issue with throttle valve. We are goin to take care of the problem by overhauling the valve.

Note throttle valve assembly on the right removed from the gun already. Also valve overhaul kit in the bag. Kit includes all necessary parts both soft and hard for the overhaul .
    Bloody Foreigner

Re: How to Polish - Tools

Removal of tipper valve from throttle body is straight forward, snap ring holds it from the top. After snap removal problem is evident, silicone rubber ring degradation . Flexibility is gone and ring comes out in little pieces
    Bloody Foreigner

Re: How to Polish - Tools

Before Titanium I ran IR231 driver that used to be industry work horse. All metal construction, reliable and easy to maintain. So why a polymer gun at double cost?
    Titanium is more user friendly. First torque delivery is much smoother, seems like blows are at higher frequency and vibrations are absorbed by composite frame.
    Trigger also offers more precise rpm control and lastly exhaust seems much quieter than IR231.
    Bloody Foreigner