Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Polish - Tools

How to Polish - Tools

Long time promised and I bet very much anticipated Polish tools thread. I am thinking review and perhaps some shop use and maintenance tips will be included in the series.

Starting from pride and joy of every mechanic, 1/2 inch impact driver or air gun.
    My weapon of choice is Ingersoll Rand Titanium 2100 series driver.
    This us how Titanium sings

So we developed bit of a problem: gun runs all the time with air supply connected.
    This indicates issue with throttle valve. We are goin to take care of the problem by overhauling the valve.

Note throttle valve assembly on the right removed from the gun already. Also valve overhaul kit in the bag. Kit includes all necessary parts both soft and hard for the overhaul .
    Polish onslaught

Re: How to Polish - Tools

Removal of tipper valve from throttle body is straight forward, snap ring holds it from the top. After snap removal problem is evident, silicone rubber ring degradation . Flexibility is gone and ring comes out in little pieces
    Polish onslaught

Before Titanium I ran IR231 driver that used to be industry work horse. All metal construction, reliable and easy to maintain. So why a polymer gun at double cost?
    Titanium is more user friendly. First torque delivery is much smoother, seems like blows are at higher frequency and vibrations are absorbed by composite frame.
    Trigger also offers more precise rpm control and lastly exhaust seems much quieter than IR231.
    Polish onslaught

So continuing on the pneumatic impact drivers

Rebuilt of throttle valve is rather uneventfull. Snap ring pliers to remove\reinstall the valve guts. Aligning the tipper valve with hole in the trigger is bit tricky.

Now bit of maintenance tips:
    First and foremost oil before each use. There is also specific grease gun you can see in the pic and grease to be injected into grease fitting. Titanium has one in the front while others in the back.
    Highly recommend to use protector of dedicated, hate to see those guns all beaten up from use and moving around.
    Polish onslaught

Wrenching today a bit so thread continues.
    How about floor jacks, easily second most important implement around the shop.

Bought my current jack almost exactly year ago - Christmas gift to self - plus I was playing with my truck lift and old jack was crap.

Polish onslaught

Thanks to labor cost up here even serious piece like pro jack pays for itself after single usage. It just keep on giving after

Super versatile tool, for example we are installing new bash plate today. Christmas gift to self

Polish onslaught

Of course big pistola has little 3/8 brother:

Went through couple of those 3/8 and IR makes the best ones. Mine is an older 200 series but still works like champ.

Bit of horizontal struggle and plate is installed

This visible oil filter window is what I was really after. Old plate had to be removed for each oil change which was major pita.
    Polish onslaught

Doing lots of caging last few days. Bit of battery drama, had to fight the store to get pro-rating. They overcharged me almost 75 bucks.
    Got bit surprised at the store when I went for battery check and was told battery warranty was up. After returning home I pulled warranty details from their website and sure enough store cheated, warranty was for 75 months not 36 months. Went back and got 50% refund

Anyhow, Truck sat for few days and I noticed battery wasn't happy to turn the engine over. Hooked up Stanley charger/booster, sure enough voltage was low with about 75 percent of charge. Set it up to fully recharge before heading to the store.

Stanley charger I have can do voltage test, alternator test, 70 A boost for engine start, charge battery and "recondition" charge.

Charger function is fully automatic: plug in- connect- forget. Looks like programming is optimised for fast charging - I miss ability to set up slow charge overnight. Another annoying feature is forced air cooling, thing has a fan.

I wish it could test battery remaining capacity, with all the junk I have looks like i need to brake for dedicated capacity tester. When tested in the store my battery retained 385 CCA out of original 710 CCA and their tester showed "Replace" diagnosis.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 29th December 2018 at 06:51 PM.
    Polish onslaught

Here is a user review of the Stanley unit. Guy does pretty good job and has fun doing it

Polish onslaught

Re: How to Polish - Ventilation

Bit on shop ventilation upgrade with current heat wave. I had this axial fan for many years. Worked well for me, but better when I had access to larger shop acrage. Wasn't so cool anymore in the garage where floor space is a premium.
    Upgraded yesterday to the centrifugal fan. Much more compact design. Surprisingly not that much more noise compared to the old axial fan.

Both specimens are about 15 years appart. Progress.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 31st December 2018 at 04:35 PM.
    Polish onslaught

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast