Thread: Steel Clutch Plates - Would you change?

Steel Clutch Plates - Would you change?

Checked my clutch as I'm thinking it occasionally slips when giving it the beans. The friction plates seem ok and within spec, but the steel plates look pretty worn, with the dimples barely visible in parts.

I've never had to change steel plates before and wondering if it's worth it or not (although never had any looking as worn as this, bike has done 50k miles) - what do you reckon?

Also noticed some small dents all the way around the clutch spring housing and the chain tensioner is the stock item, so could be worth changing to the modified chain tensioner.

Re: Steel Clutch Plates - Would you change?

Blimey they do look like they have had a hard life

Like you Rob, i have never changed the steel plates before so its all a bit new to me...……………………………….are they deadly flat or any warping?

I would also do the tensioner mod thing
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Yeah they look to be flat - still need to check to be 100% though, but as you say I think they've had a hard life and wondering if it's worth changing anyway.

Rest of clutch basket all looks good though so at least that's good.

Maybe a previous owner was just in the habit of doing a lot of hard standing starts and putting a lot of heat through the clutch - probably been ragged senseless at run'wot'ya'bring days knowing my luck.

Decided to change the lot.

A guy on ebay does a pack of EBC plates/frictions plates/springs and cover gasket in one 'kit' for a reasonable price, so thought might as well treat her to the complete shebang.

Not teaching you to suck eggs Rob but have heard EBC plates can be a bit grabby if they are not soaked in oil for 24hrs before fitting

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    Not teaching you to suck eggs Rob but have heard EBC plates can be a bit grabby if they are not soaked in oil for 24hrs before fitting

Fit OE

Thanks yeah, always do the old oil soak before fitting.

It's getting the full works over winter - got new oil, filter and all this clutch stuff on order so will have them soaking for ages while I get on with the rest

I think Windy has quite a bit of thinned oil should you need any

Mine don't look very different to that! Suppose if they were badly warped then they'd cause slipping as the plates wouldn't be held together enough? Suck it and see what it's like on new frictions I suppose but personally I've replaced frictions many times and not bothered with the steels, they always seem to appear slightly scorched. I've got EBC plates and springs seem okay to me though I might look at some Kevlar ones next time as doing hard standing starts seem to wear them out pretty quick...Think the manual says to lay them on a flat pane of glass and put a feeler gauge in various spots to check for warp.

Put a full OEM in [period].