Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A day at Nige's on the carbs..

Thumbs up A day at Nige's on the carbs..

and I don't mean pasta or spuds...

I spent the day with Nige stripping, cleaning and rebuilding, or is it re-assembling? anyhow, which ever it is it was a most enjoyable day.. after my surgery and long recovery it was just great to spend a day tinkering with bike bits, and for me, learning.

Arrived early doors, met Mrs Nige, she's in to art, and, to an extent, so am I, not in big way but I know what I like when I see it and I appreciate the skill and artistic talents of those that can paint and make arty crafty stuff..

2 coffee's later and a few stories from Nige with his no nonsense approach to life, work and biking I have no doubt he could sort the world out, if it wasn't for the PC brigade, although, I'm not sure parliament would appreciate his colourful language, damn! I thought my elder brother could swear..

By now I'm feeling right at home, some people are just naturally good at hospitality and making guests feel like they've been friends forever.

The pooch is ace too, cracking little dog..

To the garage. I've never touched carbs, Nige explained how to get them out the week before but said if I wasn't confident stripping them to bring them over to his place and we could do it together. I watched as he separated the carbs and explained a few things as he went along, interspersed with more stories of his past exploits of biking and army life, never a dull or quiet moment.

Carbs apart, he handed me 2 and I copied what he was doing with the other 2, again, getting a lesson on the part each bit played. I came to the conclusion that no amount of farkles, bling or expensive stuff thrown at a bike is worth diddly if the carbs aren't looked after and working as they should, because if the don't, the bike isn't going anywhere, period.

I should mention, at this point I learned another valuable lesson.. when you have a zillion tiny and important bits laid out on a table do not, and that's a big DO NOT! kick the fucking table leg.. it's worse than kicking the table in a pub and spilling someone's beer..

So, everything is ready for the ultra sonic bath, fluid boiled and ready, big parts in the big bath, small parts in the small bath.. and it's time to wait for them to do their stuff.. I'm thinking I should treat us to Fish and Chips, it's the least I can do, but Nige isn't having it and makes some bacon and egg butties, top notch they were too.. and more coffee..

Carbs all clean and dry, we start re-assembling, this is the point you really don't want to have any bits left once they are re-racked.. we didn't have, what I had was a set of carbs that looked brand spanking new and a satisfying feeling that they were just as clean on the inside as they are on the outside. Photos to follow at the weekend. I wanted to take some when I got home but due to accidents 2 of, on the A1M my hour's drive home turned out to be just over 2 hours..

I know it's a long post and to many it's just carb cleaning but to me it was more, I now have a new friend, new found knowledge of carbs, a new (to me) push bike, Nige says he needed room but I think he has a big heart and felt for me having just had my bikes stolen.. and a very nice print in my fave colours (thank you Mrs H)

Yes, there are plenty of members that can sort carbs but, invite you in to their home, spend an entire day sorting them, providing lunch, well, maybe not so plenty..

Nigel, thank you Sir, you're a gent..

Cheers
    windy.
    Last edited by af1_windy; 2nd November 2018 at 11:37 AM.

Re: A day at Nige's on the carbs..

“Nige with his no nonsense approach to life, work and biking”.

That’s an understatement, it is what it is

looks like he’s started a new trade training centre after Bordon closed down,nice one.

nice one Nige

Sounds like a great days tinkering.

Took me years to fully understand carbs. Bloody things are a dark art and I still have to remind myself the ins and outs when I haven't played with them for a while.

Nice one Nige!

Well done that man
    MOTORCYCLE ACTION GROUP LIFE MEMBER

Good man, setting off for yours now Nige, two sets to do.
    Get the kettle on !

I can see I am going to have to stop insulting him if he is going to keep being so damned nice to everyone.
    Cheers
    Ian
    (Top man Nige )

Cheers Martin,

Twas indeed a grand day in the cave but its always nice to help those who want to help themselves
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Nige is definitely a cut above the rest and he's helped in the past many a time with advise, parts and general ZRX knowledge.

Top banana.

Hopefully we'll meet up one day and have a beer or two, whilst we discuss our Tourette's Syndrome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast