Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I don't believe it! and help needed. please..

Re: I don't believe it! and help needed. please..

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Thanks - I see that there are repair kits so that is an option I could go for. or the replacement assembly Would you mind providing the link for the new assembly that you bought?
    I do not recall from what supplier I bought the part but still have old tap in the package box and it's part number.

As I pulled old junk out I reminded myself another reason for opting for new one. Bottom fuel hose neck become dislodged, loose.
    Bloody Foreigner

Now I've had time to think about how things unraveled on Sunday morning I have a question..

If the tap O ring had gone and or the float/s were stuck should the bike have started and run for a few minutes as well as it did?

There was no fuel leaking before the bike was started.. is this normal, does the issue start when the bike is stared?

I bought the ELS tap off of Rockpile as an extra precaution.. in fairness, the tap on the bike looks absolutely fine, diaphragm thingy looks fine as does the O ring. Bike's done less than 10k miles so if anyone is interested in the tap feel free to make me an offer.

Cheers for all the replies and advice.. sometimes we know what to do but it's always good to have some backup thoughts..

Still seriously miffed I didn't get to ride yesterday..

windy

I bought a repair kit for mine. Was cheap enough, and most of the orings didn't work/fit.

Luckily the one I needed did. No more leak from the petcock. Old ones looked fine too.

No float valve trouble here though.

Quote Originally Posted by af1_windy View Post
    Now I've had time to think about how things unraveled on Sunday morning I have a question..

If the tap O ring had gone and or the float/s were stuck should the bike have started and run for a few minutes as well as it did?

There was no fuel leaking before the bike was started.. is this normal, does the issue start when the bike is stared?

I bought the ELS tap off of Rockpile as an extra precaution.. in fairness, the tap on the bike looks absolutely fine, diaphragm thingy looks fine as does the O ring. Bike's done less than 10k miles so if anyone is interested in the tap feel free to make me an offer.

Cheers for all the replies and advice.. sometimes we know what to do but it's always good to have some backup thoughts..

Still seriously miffed I didn't get to ride yesterday..

windy
    Tap seems fine then, as it only started flooding once engine started (which vacuum opens the fuel tap).

Issue seems to be a stuck carb float valve.
    This may not need a carb strip down.

Put bike on a paddock stand and try opening the carb float bowl drain valves one at a time, then turning fuel tap to prime whilst tapping on the side of the carbs with a small rubber mallet.
    If you're lucky this will flush out any grit that may be stuck in a float valve seat.
    Repeat for each carb.

Worked for me many years ago and the issue never came back.

You keep bringing low mileage. Mind for fuel system low mileage is a negative factor when combined with old age.
    If you want reliable operation you have to address the problem. Malet tapping and seafoam can possibly get you out from this bind but not for long...
    Bloody Foreigner

Carb problems are usually quite easy to sort out. Ultrasonic cleaning is a great tool that is in reach of most diy budgets nowadays but you do need to properly know what you are doing or you can create more problems than you started off with.
    Se si muove, sorpassilo. Se non, lucidilo.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Carb problems are usually quite easy to sort out but you do need to properly know what you are doing or you can create more problems than you started off with.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    You keep bringing low mileage. Mind for fuel system low mileage is a negative factor when combined with old age.
    If you want reliable operation you have to address the problem. Malet tapping and seafoam can possibly get you out from this bind but not for long...
    The age old problem of age eh? I suppose it makes sense..

Bike was running fine just a few weeks back for it's MOT so fingers crossed it isn't a deep rooted issue..

All service items on order, I'm replacing oil, oil filter, plugs, air filter and I'll do the rubber mallet and drain thingy..

Thanks to all for the advice..

windy

Quote Originally Posted by Purge View Post
    Tap seems fine then, as it only started flooding once engine started (which vacuum opens the fuel tap).

Decided to opt for the original Kawasaki seals from Crawley Kawasaki

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast