Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't believe it! and help needed. please..

I don't believe it! and help needed. please..

10:00am this morning and I was ready for my first ride since my surgery, kitted up, bike starts first time but while it was warming up it cut out then fuel ran out down the left hand,(side-stand) side, proper pissed out.. also looked like some fuel on the garage door where the exhaust exits.. haven't tried to start it again and fuel has stopped running out.

I'm guessing it's something to do with fuel leaking in to one of the cylinders.. Only MOT'd a few weeks back so hasn't been stood long.

I'm proper gutted, been working hard to get fit enough for my first ride and weather is perfect today, I was like a big kid last night thinking about getting out..

What's the cure chaps? Thanks for help and advice in advance.

windy

Re: I don't believe it! and help needed. please..

Quote Originally Posted by af1_windy View Post
    What's the cure chaps? Thanks for help and advice in advance.

That's a bynner windy............yoy coyld try tapping the float bowl of the offending carb to free yp the sticking float valve, worth a try........otherwise it's a carb strip hob!

Found a thread started by keno, seems to cover everything I need to know..

Small amount of fuel on air filter, oil smells of fuel, took plug out and turned over, got sprayed with fuel, that was nice...

Tank off, tap apart, O ring looks perfect, would there be signs that it isn't any good? bike has done just less than 10k miles.

I'll get some stuff ordered, O ring, Oil, filter, air filter.

Bike has been run every month or so, fuel has a stabiliser in it, it was run while MOTing a few weeks back. How can I tell if the carbs need ultrasonic cleaning? or should I just get them done as a precaution?

Cheers

windy

Leaking tap and sticking float valve/valves.
    Check your oil level for petrol in your sump.
    edit:- you've answered most of it

Just on time thread, we talked about preventive petcock job the other day.
    Anybody running unouched petcock on those veterans is asking for it. Luckily you didn't hydrolocked the engine or burn down the garage.
    Bloody Foreigner

Look in the tank too. If you see any corrosion in there, strip and clean the carbs and add an inline filter to the feed from the tap.

Cheers chaps, think I have it all covered now, I'll get cracking with it at the weekend when I have all the parts..

Thanks hoot, I'll have a gander in the tank.. now, where did I leave my swan vestas..

Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    Just on time thread, we talked about preventive petcock job the other day.
    Anybody running unouched petcock on those veterans is asking for it. Luckily you didn't hydrolocked the engine or burn down the garage.
    Guys - just reading this post - I recently cleaned the carbs and bike running good. Noticed this post - do you guys recomend some sort routine servicing of the Petcock? Is it just a clean and new seals (one of the repair kits)? Can add to my list of winter jobs if recommended

I personally didn't fiddle with rebuild because suction screen was gone, disintegrated, therefore I bought new assembly.
    I see some are rebuilding the oem petcocs or converting to manual types. So you have few options avaliable
    Bloody Foreigner

Thanks - I see that there are repair kits so that is an option I could go for. or the replacement assembly Would you mind providing the link for the new assembly that you bought?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast