Thread: Front Fork Springs

Front Fork Springs

Going to be fettling the forks this year so wondering which springs to go for.
    Ohlins linear 113
    K-Tech linear 86
    Progressive 119.
    Being a tight bast, leaning toward K-Tech, not sure of the benefit of Progressive and Ohlins 30 more ( than K-Tech)Just figure that at 18 years old and 40k plus a refresh would be good ????
    MOTORCYCLE ACTION GROUP LIFE MEMBER

Re: Front Fork Springs

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKPILE View Post
    Going to be fettling the forks this year so wondering which springs to go for.
    Ohlins linear 113
    K-Tech linear 86
    Progressive 119.
    Being a tight bast, leaning toward K-Tech, not sure of the benefit of Progressive and Ohlins 30 more ( than K-Tech)Just figure that at 18 years old and 40k plus a refresh would be good ????
    I think you have answered your own question there sir

I liked the Hyperpro progressive I put in mine but then ive never ridded one with new linear springs to compare with.

Whatever you fit (just make sure you get the correct linear spring rate) will improve it I expect but you may just be surprised how much an improvement just fresh oil would make tho
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Just checked - standard Kwak spring 113 and the originals lasted 18 years hmmm

I wouldn't fit oem that's for sure
    What Goes Around..........!!!

If you aren't going the whole hog by fettling the damping fitting gold valves or such then linears would be a waste of time.
    If you only want to change the springs then progressives would be the way to go.

I have Race tech Linear springs and gold valves set up for my considerable weight, and they are superb, done many track days and HCW rideouts with never a twitch. You don't have to spend thousands to get a top quality front end on a Rex.

Proper job or half a job, your choice.
    TPB-Founder member HCW
    Champagne ideas on beer money

For the first time this year ( ever) I will be taking the bike off the road for winter.
    Reckon the best thing to do is to take the forks off and have a look at what springs are in, then weigh up the options , and cash, and take it from there.
    Just out of interest Pal, where would I get the gold valves from and what sort of price are they???

I have liear Ohlins 0.95 in mine, oil is 32 CST@40, but no valve job, it works pretty damn good.

Mine are the newer forks, silver ones from 2006.

I bought the K-Tech linear springs myself a few years ago, for me it made a worthwhile difference as the originals are quite a bit on the soft side for an 11 stone rider. Putting the lightest fork oil in helped it too as the damping rate is a little too slow if that's the way to describe it. I've now got a set of forks with the Race Tech internals in them, using the K-Tech springs I bought earlier they really hold the road just such a smooth controlled ride in comparison to the standard forks and it really takes a lot to upset the bike on bumpy roads.

Linear for me too. KTec revalve. Agree with Chris re light fork oil, alternative is increasing air / oil ratio.

If you really push on the road, way beyond what you probably should be doing, and you have rises and bumps and the usual shite she'll still twitch and head shake, it'll still be a battle but that's the bike. In a sense track days and even Alpine runs are slightly misleading re the bike's capabities, the former do not resemble the B3157 and on the latter your corner speed is de facto limited, not too many non constant radius hairpins in this neck of the woods.

One other thing. As an experiment I tried running much lower TPs this summer, like 30 / 35. What this effectively did was damp the suspension en masse, in a good way. Obviously changed the profile too but you can allow for that. When I went back to normal TP I had to reduce the compression and rebound damping, otherwise it felt like a road drill. Point is tyre construction and pressures are inextricably linked with suspension, we all know that but tend to forget it.

I have also bought some alloy handlebar mount bushes ( as suggested by Exesspeed). Will take the springs out whilst bike is off road and see what is in there. Last week end on the road this week so next week ( hopefully) we will see.
    Thank for all the info/advice.