Thread: Advise Appreciated: Brake Discs from Webike for a Z1100R ELR

Question Advise Appreciated: Brake Discs from Webike for a Z1100R ELR

Hi Peeps

After years of collecting some original KZ1000R-S1 factory parts, I'm attempting to upgrade my Z1100R into a copy of the factory race bike and would appreciated some advise on some PMC brake discs I've seen on Webike.

Here is the link: https://japan.webike.net/products/21285824.html

My confusion is with the brake disc pictured on the right-hand side. I can't see how this would fit my current front wheel, as the inner disc is flat and the central mounting section which locates onto the wheel is to small.

The disc pictured on the left-hand side is more in keeping with what I've currently have fitted on my ELR.

IMG_1552.JPG

So my question to you guys in the know is, do I order 2x discs pictured on the left-hand side for my ELR on the Webike advert and what is the disc on the right-and side for ?

I don't want to order the wrong disc's, as they are F***ing expensive and Webike don't except returns..

Cheers Peeps for your help on this one.

Re: Advise Appreciated: Brake Discs from Webike for a Z1100R ELR

That one on the right reminds me of the old fully floating discs the brits dallied with many moons ago (they ran on studs with only the caliper stopping them coming off)

However, the more I look at the images and purchasing description (with a sprinkling of wishful thinking) the more confused I get

It may be possible to scale the images with something like photoshop to do a sanity check but I would be surprised if webike were to get such wrong and although their replies are often difficult to decipher and at a tangent, it may be worth asking the question of them.

Flat discs appear to be the holy grail for the real ELR peeps (not the rex wannabe's) and from what I have seen previously, I think these are a good price and PMC are as good as it gets I would suggest.

Not a game show and its your dosh so my vote right now would be for more info from either dedicated forums, webike or PMC.
    Last edited by ZRXNige; 13th October 2018 at 10:40 AM.
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Have to add that you are a bad man as I thought I had just weened myself off webike

Cheers Nige .. Thanks for relying.

I did write to Webike and their reply was as clear as mud.. Basically they said, all the technical specification is in the listing.... Huh.. Really ?

I'm well confused and shitting myself in case I buy the wrong discs.

My gut feeling is the coned inner disc version looks to be the safer bet, as the wheel fixing looks to be more of a conventional set up and from what I can see from the Webike pictures, looks to be similar to what I've got currently fitted on my bike.

I think I need to take a stiff drink tonight and go for the coned inner disc version and hope for the best..... Last famous words.

The worst that could happen is they're no good for man or beast and the wife will get some flash kitchen trivets for Christmas

If any one else wants to jump in with some advise or opinion, it would be appreciated .

Might try posting this thread on the US forum, as maybe some of those guys might have some experience in these PMC S1 replica discs for the ELR.

Quote Originally Posted by jds View Post
    I think I need to take a stiff drink tonight and go for the coned inner disc version and hope for the best
    That's the "spirit" John

I also think you need some new bolts in them caliper bodies

I was think of a double Black Russian.. That should hit the spot.

Yeah, I need to go right through the bike and sort a few things out.. My problem is I have to many jobs on the go and I'm a lazy twat with very little enthusiasm to get off my ass.

Went I look at the mountain of stuff I want to do, it puts me off...

For this ELR, I want to replace the brake disc and get a custom made Kerker system.

I've managed to get hold of a genuine set of S1 Factory forks, a pair of Factory Works Performance rear shocks, so that should improve the handling a bit.

I'm also going to upgrade the ignition system, along with installing a race alternator and a modified engine cover.. It should look really trick once its finish and go a bit better.

The only thing I'm debating about is whether I should try and find a set of old Morris Magnesium wheels or a pair of PMC copies.. But now we are talking serious money and I need to curb this obsession at some point.

PS: My mate has a set of NOS period keihin CR smoothbores. I'm not sure what size carbs they are and how much he wants for them, so its going to be one of those "Cat & Mouse" games down the pub for the next several months..

Ive got a chrome kerker from a zed 1/thou if you want it

Couple of dings in the headers but the mega is fine

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    Ive got a chrome kerker from a zed 1/thou if you want it

Couple of dings in the headers but the mega is fine
    Cheers Nige. You're a Gent

I've got a NOS Kerker silencer ( old school mega which I bought from Ebay USA many, many years ago) but no pipework.. I've had a word with Richard Peckett of P&M Motorcycles and I think I've convinced him to make me a system to fit my bike with this NOS Kerker silencer..

Once I've got all my Bits & Pieces together, I'm going to drop the bike down to him and let him do his magic.. He'll fit all the bits on ( and do a much better job than me) and set he bike up on his Dyno.

Post quote from a shy member: I have a set like that in my garage and at the expense of sounding thick or stating the obvious, surely the rh picture is one side of the disc and the lh side is the other

Please can you post a picture of these discs you have in your possession, as it would greatly help me in this quest.

What would really help is more pictures of both sides of these two types of discs , shown on the Webike listing. Thanks if you can post up some pictures of these discs you have in your garage.

Like yourself, I also thought it was a set of discs (Right & Left hand side) but on closer inspection, to me it looks like two types or different versions of this style of disc.

Certainly the disc pictured on the Right-hand side will not fit my wheels, as the centre mounting hole is to small. Hence my theory that I need to order 2 x Left-hand side coned inner discs version.

John, I initially thought that (that was in my ramblings i deleted) but am not seeing it.

From that pic you would have to lose your speedo drive and that materiel that makes up the outer plate (albeit hard to see clearly) would have to act as a thrust face for the spacer in lieu of the speedo drive which I just cant see as they need to act on the bearing.

From the purchase options L and R I dont think they are one in the same disc but its definitely one of those where it would be good/nice to be proved wrong that is for sure