Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paint for rear shock springs

paint for rear shock springs

Anyone know what paint is best for rear springs does it have to be flexible ? cheers.

Re: paint for rear shock springs

Think you can powder coat them.
    Loud pipes save lives!

I suspect any decent paint is ok (and I include rattle cans) as I dont think the flex thing is any issue
    What Goes Around..........!!!

If you want a lasting finish then powder coat any day. The shitty purple paint on my hyperpro's fell off within 6 months. Whilst the bike was off the road had a batch of other stuff done at the same time like the water coolant pipes etc.p
    Se si muove, sorpassilo. Se non, lucidilo.

Any paint will do fine, but two pack is more robust than aerosol and will resist chipping better. Powdercoating is also good. Hyperpro springs should be powdercoated BTW, but PC is only as good as the prep. Any rust or grease left on the item and the paint will lift same as any other paint does.

i used Red oxide primer finished with two coats of hammerite still fine

Powder coat is brilliant. Just watch the oven temperature.

Bloody Foreigner

I think i read somewhere that shot blasting and powder coating temp can alter a springs properties ...

Quote Originally Posted by devonnick1 View Post
    I think i read somewhere that shot blasting and powder coating temp can alter a springs properties ...
    Since I do not know our spring steel specs I was concerned and bought extra spring set for powder coating. Talked to Carlos from A Plus Powder Coating to clarify his oven temperature and discussed his previous experience with motorcycle springs.
    I have springs installed for a season and no issues. YMMV
    Bloody Foreigner

Quote Originally Posted by devonnick1 View Post
    I believe it can and there is also debate over which blast medium is most suited (but that's another debate) but as for temperature, I dont think plastic coating would exceed the heat required to adversely affect the springs metallurgical properties.

Guess it comes down to cost and convenience really and having painted many springs over the years (generally with cellulose from a rattle can or gun) I think whichever you decide will be fine.

If you decide to paint you can always give them a coat of lacquer if you are concerned but I have never came across paint coming off springs unless (like with all surface coatings) the preparation was incorrect/insufficient.

Im with Ken as personally I would paint them ........................….unless I was having other parts coated.
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast