Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Number Plate size

Re: Number Plate size

No points for a small number plate, but whether you get a fine or not will depend on your attitude!

Used to take my standard size plate to the MOT station and show it to the tester. Now I don't bother. It's the same guy who tests and services my bike. He's even stopped adding "Loud exhaust" as an advisory.
    Loud exhausts save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas A. Swift View Post
    He's even stopped adding "Loud exhaust" as an advisory.
    Advisory's aren't a thing anymore. It will either pass or fail and the exhaust volume is down to the testers discretion, so you have to be careful if going to a new tester.

Luckily I also go to my regular tester who knows I'm good for sorting anything needing attention and put a bit of work his way now and again to keep him sweet, so he overlooks the common sense stuff like exhausts unless they are really OTT.

I think it was late 90's when legislature here determined testing to be fraudulent operation and abolished it all together...
    Bloody Foreigner

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    Advisory's aren't a thing anymore.
    I think you’ll find they are, both my bikes passed this year and both with advisory’s
    Last of the " Essex Geezers "

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I think you’ll find they are, both my bikes passed this year and both with advisory’s
    Well that's interesting - I checked the gov website and you're right - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...es-20-may-2018

When I got my MOT this year the tester said how they had removed the advisory section under the new testing (although this was before the change in May, did it change twice?).

I'd also heard this from other places, so a bit weird.

From reading it I think my tester meant that things that previously fell into advisory are now considered 'minor defects' and advisory's are just that, just things to keep an eye on, but the actual test is pass or fail, whereas previously they could give you the benefit with the advisory category. Not sure.

Anyway, good to see that's the case and happy to admit I was wrong as I thought it was annoying too lose them

That's spooky as I had mine done not so long ago and I was told no more advisories ………..I kind of miss the "excessive noise from Offside of vehicle" and I see its an even simpler bit of paper you get
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    That's spooky as I had mine done not so long ago and I was told no more advisories
    Glad it's not just me.

Having looked again at the changes I think the tester was talking about the pass or fail items now losing any 'grey area' and not having an advisory aspect to avoid the fact that they previously could have had an advisory repeating every year without the owner needing to do anything.

So as an example, like you say previously they could advise the exhaust is too loud, and you get that every single year, which is sort of meaningless if ignored. So now that category doesn't have an advisory, it simply fails if the exhaust is too loud.

It looks like advisory is now specifically only for items that are becoming worn etc and will need to be maintained/serviced in the future, so they shouldn't be a constantly recurring item.

Ive been fitting 8"x 6" plates to all my bikes for more than 10 years - smaller than legal, so look much neater, but not so small it takes the piss or looks out of place.
    Even ehen checked by the plod in "random" checks, they've never questioned the plate. . . also never questioned at an mot test.

Im getting old!

used to always have small plates, but now cant be bothered with the hassle they can give.

All my 3 bikes have fully legal plates on them, the Rex, the Mito and most embarrassing, the LC!

Quote Originally Posted by mczrx View Post
    All my 3 bikes have fully legal plates on them, the Rex, the Mito and most embarrassing, the LC!
    An Elsie with a full size plate...……………………...whatever next

What Goes Around..........!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast