Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bolt pitch question.

Re: Bolt pitch question.

Quote Originally Posted by yox View Post
    Let's try and keep it on topic, if you keep poking your fingers in the bars you'll eventually get bitten.
    Noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    Back on topic.
    Cap head bolts are generally 10.6 minimum, much greater tensile strength than the 8.8 that most of the other bolts on your bike are. The torque figure for the bolts will give you an idea how critical they are or not as the case may be.

In this application, the tensile strength is a moot point as it is not a critical area, it is merely bolting the bendy ally tube to the frame, it is not structural.

Dieing down some 1.5 pitch bolts to 1.25, and adding some screwlock would be fine.

Rolled bolts are generally better in high stress areas due to the reduction in shear points of a cut thread.

And just for the record, I couldn't give a flying fuck if you disagree with me.
    Some good points but of course "bendy tube" is a structural member of the frame and necessary to stiffen framework. Structural by definition. Unconvinced? Remove it drive about and report back....
    For lazy types unwilling to test it there is always webike.com trip and chrome moly bendy tube replacement for 600 bucks. Not the most popular upgrade here I admit...

https://www.k-factory.com/list_en.ph...d=174&pageID=3

Almost forgot, it has a motor attached to it ...
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 7th September 2018 at 10:54 PM.
    Bloody Foreigner

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Sadly not always:
    C-mon, it was unusualy cold that day...

But yeah solid body boosters supposed to be made not far from my house but some sleazbag politician moved it West away from Florida. This move forced segmented booster design due to shipping requirements hence pictured disaster. :sad:
    Bloody Foreigner

Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    Some good points but of course "bendy tube" is a structural member of the frame and necessary to stiffen framework. Structural by definition. Unconvinced? ..
    So structural they made it out of aluminium instead of steel.
    Years ago a good friend did a track day with all four bolts missing, never noticed a thing.
    Yes it has a very stiff motor attached to it which is fixed in a few other places, which is why you can ride around without it and be fine, and why the tensile strength of the bolts holding it in place doesn't matter one jot.
    TPB-Founder member HCW
    Champagne ideas on beer money

Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    So structural they made it out of aluminium instead of steel.
    Years ago a good friend did a track day with all four bolts missing, never noticed a thing.
    Yes it has a very stiff motor attached to it which is fixed in a few other places, which is why you can ride around without it and be fine, and why the tensile strength of the bolts holding it in place doesn't matter one jot.
    Well, at least is aluminum instead of plastic or black fiber like everything else today

I also noted, just like yourself, late tendency of making motorcycle frames out of steel instead of aluminum. I think this is thanks to ubiquitous welding robots but I stray... Aluminum bad these days and steel good again. Got it. In fact I would pay $250 K-factory wants for chrome-moly right frame member, but just can't agree on $250 shipping.

Now tensile strength in this case is like asking how much you can bench press to figure out how fast you can run 100 meters. Kinda indicator. As I said earlier but you missed it, tensile over stress is not most probable failure mechanism for the joint. I would vote for de-tensioning or fastener fracturing since frame member is attached on all three ends to vibration generators. Mickey Mouse bolts certainly do not help here.

Now I think this friend you mentioned should watch some of slow motion footage of tank slappers to put fear of God in his heart and start proper re-torque regime on his bike, all those flexes and bends... my favorite are TT crashes and saves BTW
    Bloody Foreigner

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456