Thread: Forks still leaking.

Forks still leaking.

Owdo folks.
    Since i last posted on here, ive done about 1000 miles on the 1200. Now, i fitted new fork seals as the others were leaking. I put that down to previous owner putting seals in upside down. Well, the new ones leak a little bit. I was wondering whether the chrome might be worn?
    Also, what is the best suspension setting for the forks. I cant get into pit stop as i dont have 20 odd posts yet. Cheers in advance. 😁

Re: Forks still leaking.

Is there any pitting on the forks? That would cause seals to leak pretty quickly if you have some deep ones in the travel area.

The fork stanchions could have some wear on them, but if you used cheap (Chinese made often) fork seals - that could also be your problem.

Personally with fork seals, I will only use OEM or at least Japanese seals. They are such a pig of a job to do, it only needs doing once.

I only use either Motorex or Motul fork oil too. The stuff from Putoline etc is shite and degrades in no time, going creamy and stinks.

Yeah doing it my way can cost a tad more than going the Ebay route - but it is done properly and it only needs doing once

Quote Originally Posted by Stafford View Post
    Owdo folks.
    Since i last posted on here, ive done about 1000 miles on the 1200. Now, i fitted new fork seals as the others were leaking. I put that down to previous owner putting seals in upside down. Well, the new ones leak a little bit. I was wondering whether the chrome might be worn?
    Also, what is the best suspension setting for the forks. I cant get into pit stop as i dont have 20 odd posts yet. Cheers in advance. ��
    Well, there are so many things with install that could go wrong that it is difficult to pinpoint.
    Get top shelf seals, note oem seals have double lips while aftermarket single lip. Once disassembled inspect stanchion not only for pits but also underchrome corrosion that would raise up chrome layer.
    See if fork bushings need replacing while at it.

During installation protect from damage and grease well seal lips.

I also soak new seals overnight in oil prior to installation.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 23rd August 2018 at 07:45 PM.
    Bloody Foreigner

I'd check your fork legs for corrosion/pitting first. Even a cheap seal should last 1000 miles.... Also, are you sure you have the right amount of oil in the forks? Too much might cause the oil to be pushed out

fork settings: rebound just about all the way in. Compression all the way out, then 2-3 clicks back. that's a decent basepoint on stock forks with 10W oil
    ships get called 'she'
    I bet torpedoes don't

If the upper bush, in the lower fork leg, is worn excessively then too much oil can seep past and the seal cant deal with the increased volume and some oil will inevitably get through.

This is the part number for an `05 - 92028 -1784 BUSHING - 11.40

Kendo
    Take the pieces and build them skywards !