Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear brake light pressure switch location idea (help finding off the shelf part)

Re: Rear brake light pressure switch location idea (help finding off the shelf part)

Not sure what the issue with the pressure switch is, especially the right angled one Nige linked to (I might get one of those actually) as the wires can be tucked out of the wire and run behind the frame.

I reckon it will look more of a mess with double the amount of brake lines or additional banjo's coming off it.

Each to their own though if that's what you need to do - I'd be interested to see the finished article though out of interest as never heard of anyone doing this before

Re: Rear brake light pressure switch location idea (help finding off the shelf part)

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    Not sure what the issue with the pressure switch is, especially the right angled one Nige linked to (I might get one of those actually) as the wires can be tucked out of the wire and run behind the frame.

I reckon it will look more of a mess with double the amount of brake lines or additional banjo's coming off it.

Each to their own though if that's what you need to do - I'd be interested to see the finished article though out of interest as never heard of anyone doing this before
    noggin, decided not to bother with a brake light switch, just refit it come MOT time, small plate, loud pipe, over the speed limit everywhere out of town, the rebel in me said whats the point.

Just had my rear sets delivered and had a quick peek in the box, those footpegs are bloody short, think I'll get my elbow down before they touch the ground.

Nights last night, time for sleep

You mean not bother with a brake light at all?

Maybe I'm being an old fart, but I don't think that's a great idea - forget MOT and legality, if you're involved in an accident and the bike is inspected and found to lack a rear light mechanism, you'll be looking at the insurance company withdrawing any cash.

In fact they may even state you are uninsured as not riding a road worthy bike and then the police bust you for riding without insurance (it has happened).

Just my thoughts though.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    You mean not bother with a brake light at all?

Maybe I'm being an old fart, but I don't think that's a great idea - forget MOT and legality, if you're involved in an accident and the bike is inspected and found to lack a rear light mechanism, you'll be looking at the insurance company withdrawing any cash.

In fact they may even state you are uninsured as not riding a road worthy bike and then the police bust you for riding without insurance (it has happened).

Just my thoughts though.

I think it will be ok as I have just read the MOT regulations and this motorcycle is green remember

As such

4.3.1 - Stop lamps aren’t needed for motorcycles that:

don’t have front and rear position lamps
    have had stop lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked
    can’t exceed 25mph
    was first used before 1 January 1936
    was first used before 1 April 1986 and has an engine capacity of less than 50cc

What Goes Around..........!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    I think it will be ok as I have just read the MOT regulations and this motorcycle is green remember

As such

can’t exceed 25mph

LMAO

It'll be fine, will, as I've said, just fit it without the switch and come up with something re my hidden idea over winter, if I come off between now and then it's my own bloody fault.

One issue I have with the rear sets is having to use the original mount bolts, its a shame they ddn't machine them to take a countersunk bolt or something more attractive than either a rusty stock or a cap head bolt/screw

Nige

Whats the pitch on the stock bolt please?

Quoted paragraph doesn't apply since you do have stop light working on primary brake circuit. Key is to see if law require stop lights activated by both brake circuits...
    Bloody Foreigner

Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    Quoted paragraph doesn't apply since you do have stop light working on primary brake circuit. Key is to see if law require stop lights activated by both brake circuits...
    In the UK since 1986 the law requires the brake light is operated when using either circuit (On new motorcycles built after the date the law was introduced)

Pretty sure they are M8 x 1.25

I mounted my LSL's with old disc bolts I had given a clean as the shoulder sits in just grand (but IIRC I had to turn a mil or two of the head diameter)

That said, I expect a shouldered Ti bolt would look just grand (and be well under the diameter of a disc bolt so no turning required if you haven't got access to a lathe)

As such

can’t exceed 25mph

Quote Originally Posted by Steady Eddie View Post
    LMAO
    Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post

Quoted paragraph was humour as born out by Mel's response (I even underlined the clause for you)……………………………...Green = Slow (just like someone else)

Pretty sure they are M8 x 1.25

I mounted my LSL's with old disc bolts I had given a clean as the shoulder sits in just grand (but IIRC I had to turn a mil or two of the head diameter)

That said, I expect a shouldered Ti bolt would look just grand (and be well under the diameter of a disc bolt so no turning required if you haven't got access to a lathe)
    Thanks

I like the idea of the disc/ti bolts as would be safer to have the bolt machined than risk damage to the rear sets, will have a look online tomorrow and see whats available.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast