Thread: Endless question

Endless question

Im currently dismantling a ZRX which was owned by someone who didnt like the bike by the look of things. The chain is a nice gold colour but has a clip link in it. I know this is not how Kawasaki intended it to be, has anyone ever fitted a clip link chain to a large capacity bike? I mean, whats the worst that could happen?

Re: Endless question

I have used them on many bikes ( from a Gs550 to a Hayabusa) with no problems
    MOTORCYCLE ACTION GROUP LIFE MEMBER

Nigel (aka z1 racer) has one on his and all is good

That said, the worst that can happen is the retaining clip can come adrift / let go allowing the plates to separate leading to loss of chain (not sure how it can / does happen if the clip is fitted properly TBH) but having had one let go on a zed thou many moons ago, its a fookin scary time so from that day on I have always rivetted them

That said I dont think it would worry me now as much
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Only ever used them on smaller bikes like a 500 twin. They 'should' be fine, but to be honest I'd always put a rivet link in just to be on the safe side.

Took a large chunk out of my ZX10 (early ZX) engine when one let go

Thanks for the comments, think I'll do te rivets belt n braces n all that.

In theory, they're absolutely fine & should give no issue when fitted correctly to a properly maintained chain. After all, 200+ bhp WSB bikes use them. 250+ bhp MotoGP bikes use them & 1000+ bhp drag bikes use them.
    When you think about it, they dont actually do much & theres absolutely no pressure on the clip & it takes absolutely no power.
    The problem arises if the clip is fitted incorrectly, or back to front . . . and if the chain isn't properly maintained.
    If youre going to ignore chain maintenance, probably best to fit a soft link.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesnoopy View Post
    When you think about it, they dont actually do much & theres absolutely no pressure on the clip & it takes absolutely no power.
    On a GS500 I had back in the early 90s, I came to lube the chain and noticed the clip was completely missing. Don't know how long it hadn't been on, but I must have been riding a while without the clip and the link stayed put no problem.

As you say, no pressure really goes to the side plates (in a sideways motion anyway) so it's not a massive issue using them. However it was the fact I lost one that I started to only use rivet links.

That was so called rust welded connection
    Bloody Foreigner