Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radial brake and clutch master cylinders

Radial brake and clutch master cylinders

I've had a nice little bonus from my old job and am considering fitting new master cylinders to the bike, I've looked at Accossato, Brembo and ISR and as beautiful as they are I'm not sure I want to spend that sort of money on what to me is nothing more than a cosmetic upgrade (I know they'll all be better but really don't have a problem with them as they are)

I've searched ebay for second hand and tbh find most of them to be a little over priced for scabby used parts which leads me to one other option. Webike japan sells new Nissan radial clutch and brake master cylinders for not much more than the price of the used items, and even with import duty etc they still beat the hell out of the price of the three I mentioned above, question is has anybody purchased them and were they any good, or should I just stop being a tight git and pay the extra for the above mentioned cylinders.

Re: Radial brake and clutch master cylinders

Good question I was going to ask similar.

after seeing all those light to the touch clutches in Matlock I want to get something for my bike,for me though it’s to help my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Steady Eddie View Post
    I've looked at Accossato, Brembo and ISR and as beautiful as they are I'm not sure I want to spend that sort of money on what to me is nothing more than a cosmetic upgrade.
    If you see them as purely cosmetic then I have no idea as to why you are even contemplating fitting them when there are things that can be improved

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrep View Post
    Good question I was going to ask similar.

after seeing all those light to the touch clutches in Matlock I want to get something for my bike,for me though it’s to help my hands.

John,
    My clutch MC is Magura and I dont need to tell you how much lighter is but due to its type of mount there is no provision for a mirror.

As such, I would go for Brembo and get the optional clamp that has a mirror mount cast/machined into it (any you only need the clutch if that's all that is worrying you) and they are just as Al has them

I have Brembo RC19s on mine and the difference is immense. Lighter clutch and better braking with the standard calipers (and bonkers with radial calipers).
    Recommended.
    Life is hard - and then you die...

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    If you see them as purely cosmetic then I have no idea as to why you are even contemplating fitting them when there are things that can be improved

John,
    My clutch MC is Magura and I dont need to tell you how much lighter is but due to its type of mount there is no provision for a mirror.

As such, I would go for Brembo and get the optional clamp that has a mirror mount cast/machined into it (any you only need the clutch if that's all that is worrying you) and they are just as Al has them
    cool I like the standard mirrors,where’s the best place to look,is it Rex specific?

John,

For me the only way I'm going to improve the bike is to lose about 100-150 lbs and to do that properly isn't a cheap or simple task, besides I like the bike the way it is, sure I could throw a grand on a set of Ohlin's rear shocks but at 500 lbs+ I'm not sure it's worth it. My standard suspension is more than adequate for my needs and I push the bike pretty hard through the corners. Lighter wheels would help it to turn but so does a good tug on the bars etc etc

So yes I'd like to fit a set of radial master cylinders for nothing more than cosmetic reasons, if I get an improvement over stock then happy days but as long as they are at least equal I'd be happy.

Not arguing Nige, just we all look at our bikes and riding from different angles.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrep View Post
    cool I like the standard mirrors,where’s the best place to look,is it Rex specific?
    You just want a generic radial Brembo john and I think you can go with 17mm.

That said, if Nigel is running a 19 and its fine then I would maybe go with that (might also be worth asking Al as well as he is running a Brembo and my Magura is actually 16mm and thus why I thought you would be ok with 17).

Be wary what kit you buy though as they often dont include the reservoir, pipe and bracket and you will need the clamp that has the mirror mount on it and believe me it soon adds up

They are not cheap and thus why although I have brembo brake MC, I went for 2nd hand Magura clutch off a KTM that cost me 100 squids all done and dusted

Please note tho John that you will either have to do away with the clutch inhibitor switch (which maybe not surprisingly I have done) or there may be a bit of buggering about with the switch wires (I say maybe as I had to on Maggy but may not be necessary on Brembo but either Nigel (ultim8pc type) or Al will know the score
    Last edited by ZRXNige; 20th July 2018 at 07:32 PM.

Just for reference John and so you can get a feel for it (albeit this is a 17mm but 19 would be in the ball park)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BREMBO-RC...cAAOSwCGVX9QrJ

This be the mirror mount

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BREMBO-MA...oAAOSwB-1YuCdC

Prices also vary wildly between suppliers but buy from an established/authorised dealer as there is also a lot of snide shite out there

Quote Originally Posted by Steady Eddie View Post
    Not arguing Nige, just we all look at our bikes and riding from different angles.
    Didnt think you/we were Mel

Might be Worthing giving Nigel a pm (as in z1 racer type) as has fitted radial Nissin cylinders of a Gixxer I think (its a nice tidy job tho as you would expect on his ) but he would have the detail.

Cant recall what mirrors he uses tho (I know some folk will only use oem etc)

Didnt think you/we were Mel

Might be Worthing giving Nigel a pm (as in z1 racer type) as has fitted radial Nissin cylinders of a Gixxer I think (its a nice tidy job tho as you would expect on his ) but he would have the detail.

Cant recall what mirrors he uses tho (I know some folk will only use oem etc)
    I run without mirrors so the mount is not important.

I'll look him up over the weekend, thanks

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast