Thread: Neutral warning light

Neutral warning light

Bike goes into neutral,but light doesn’t come on bike wont start unless off the stand and clutch in.

went down to H cafe asked a couple of bikers to hold the bike over so I could fit a new switch.

still the same any ides?

Re: Neutral warning light

Lamp u/s ?

Check wiring around the headstock , green is the one that feeds the neutral light.

Check connection of the multiplug for the clocks.

Kendo
    Take the pieces and build them skywards !

You have open in neutral switch part of the engine start permitting system. Engine starts with clutch pull therefore common side of the system is ok. That lets us concentrate on just neutral switch leg of the circuit.
    I would start from checking ground at neutral switch connection at junction block. You can use ohmmeter there and work downstream as necessary.
    Wireing diagram needed to identify wires is somwhere here in this forum.

BTW first thing is to do good visual and wiggle test on the area that was recently serviced. I understand there was work done on this bike recently?
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 23rd June 2018 at 03:30 AM.
    Bloody Foreigner

Stump the Chump players apply here...

Its a funny one is this (I had a quick look when I was at Johns but it was getting late so we left it) but with the old switch in:

Short the lead from the switch and the light comes on.

Take the switch out and operate the plunger and the light comes on.

Once in neutral, if you moved the gear lever to and fro (to the point of starting to shift a gear) the light came on (bearing in mind its a longer lever to the shaft as it has Kliktronic fitted but the shaft doesn't appear to be under any pressure when its in neutral as there is play either side) - almost as if the plunger isn't connecting with something on the shift drum (if that makes sense).

Didnt know you were going to fit a new switch John but now my thoughts are possible micro adjustment of the Kliktronic @ the gear lever interface but the easiest initial test is to disconnect the Kliktronic rose joint at the gear lever and see if it lets the light come on (and if so, where is it sitting in relation to the rose joint with the Kliktronic under no pressure).

Clearly my only concern would be that I set the Kliktronic to its bang centre (with a Vernier) and it shifts grand so any adjustment may affect this (and if this be the case it may have to be the lesser of two evils John) albeit I expect there will be some adjustment in the machine that may just get it (if indeed that be the issue?)
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    ....I understand there was work done on this bike recently?
    Working hard on not taking cheap shots here....

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post

Short the lead from the switch and the light comes on.

Take the switch out and operate the plunger and the light comes on

What he describes here is a normal operation of the circuit, if the results are positive this mean electrical side is working correctly and you can concentrate on the actuation side, note there is no "shorting" but grounding of the lead. Also when operating the ball with switch removed, body of the switch needs to be grounded.
    Now, With known good switch already installed I would say grounding the wire at switch connection should be enough to confirm electrical side is OK, granted light comes on AND bike starts.
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 23rd June 2018 at 09:59 AM.
    Bloody Foreigner

Stump the Chump players apply here...

John,

Just had a thought when out with dogster and that is as the gear position indicator doesn't work with the Klicker (although I have no idea why), might be worth disconnecting it in case it interfaces with the neutral circuit anywhere (am not convinced but it eliminates something out of the equation).

I guess the other question is was it working after the shop swapped everything over and before I adjusted the Kliktronic (dont be shy if it was)
    What Goes Around..........!!!